• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY??

Heagney

Hi folks I'm looking for some advice please...

Currently have 60 odd litre 60x30x35 marina tank which I'm cycling. Don't currently have co2 but looking at starting with a yeast set up. Substrate is John Innes No3 topped with play sand but I'm thinking about dosing EI with salts. My light is a small 15w 18''

So...I'm thinking about making a DIY canopy to replace the standard one and upping my lighting to coincide with the yeast co2 and EI dosage.

My budget is pretty limited. I've been looking at lighting and there's so much!! Aquatic specific, hydroponic, standard lighting (ie T5/T8 but not aquarium specific) and I've even seen LED HO spotlights used. Should have said its a planted tank.

So (I'm getting there) I'm thinking about anywhere between 2-4 T8's as they seem to fit my tank size, my questions are:

- should I go for just a ballast kit and DIY the fitting into hood? If so can I make it water safe?
- go for an aquarium specific kit?
- go for a T5 set up that is not aquarium specific and use a splash guard?
- go for a hydroponics set up (although wattage seems over kill for my tank
- how many bulbs? Could I do 2x white at 6500k and 1x red plus 1x blue acitic. Or best 2x White?

Yeh I saw a YouTube video of someone that done that with LED ones and, if it wasn't faked, had a gorgeous carpet going in the tank with more advanced type plant, he was using pressurised co2. His were fitted under a diy canopy

Where did you purchase yours from? I was under the impression that 6500k was best but read a post under lighting and they were talking about 8000k+?
I think I will go with them but hopefully I can accommodate them under a custom hood if they aren't to heavy/get too hot

In was actually looking at them today that's funny! Have you had success with more light loving plants? I think 'more light loving' is the technical term....haha

I have grown HC cuba, Hair grass, Riccardia chamedryfolia, all did well :)

One photo.

070_zps10kiiuop.jpg

Hi Heagney, Depending on where the tank is located and you take of the top lid off and replace with a plastic lid placed on clips.
You could use 6500k 30w garden flood lighting hanging from a floating shelf. Its a cheap option and grows plants well.

One photo of my set up:)

017_zps5rggcfjb.jpg

What a brillant Idea, Im now thinging about doing this, I got a shelf just like it for my kitchen, it cost about £20 from Ikea! Thank you.

It's just the coverage that I'm more concerned about. I'm planning on having the light almost water level, I'll have some kind of glass of acrylic actually covering the tank, as i would like my tank hood to be as shallow as possible.
Ive still not made my mind up though...im torn between the draw for more lumens and the problems it may bring as you can dim etc.
I'm just thinking that my yeast co2 injection may not be enough to compensate for the increased lighting?

I'm actually going to purchase a drop checker next week to see where my co2 levels are without anything and take it from there

How much weight do you think my tank could support?? I bought it second hand. Might need to think of a light weight yet sturdy construction for my hood, I'm sure the lights will be quite heavy?

Back