• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

True bonsai looking plant in aquarium

Andrew Butler

Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone knows of any plant that is either bonsai or 'shrub' looking - by that I mean one that is a little more dense with branch/twig. I hope this makes sense and I also think I know the answer but I know nothing so hoping someone can give me some input.
cheers
Andy

Did you mean something like this?
e2bbb51fdfe332a95fbc5701834bbe9f.jpg

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

The steps already shown in the picture. They attach different kind of moss to drift wood with nice branching look. Never try before so cannot give comment.

Hi
There is various videos on You Tube how to create a Bonsai tree!
One I have saw is where the creator uses pieces of Black Filter sponge to adhere to the branches with Super Glue/Gel.
Then glues the mosses to the sponges!
This far easier than other methods...plus gives a instant canopy effect if you have enough moss!
hoggie

Hi
There is various videos on You Tube how to create a Bonsai tree!
One I have saw is where the creator uses pieces of Black Filter sponge to adhere to the branches with Super Glue/Gel.
Then glues the mosses to the sponges!
This far easier than other methods...plus gives a instant canopy effect if you have enough moss!
hoggie
Ha, I watched that too

sorry everyone, not been online for a few days. No I was really after a true bonsai, I know there are lots of different tree species they use but am now confident they all require dry soil which I can't see happening in an aquarium. Thanks everyone for their input

I have researched true bonsai trees to use as emersed decoration above a tank.. But the problem is all of the native moist loving trees require a winter to survive, they can't be kept indoors all year long. The only tropical one comming a bit close is mangrove, sometimes they are available in private trade but afaik not in the lfs and are not realy nursed for this.. But it will take a lifetime before you have something substancial from a young and tiny mangrove tree.. :)

I have researched true bonsai trees to use as emersed decoration above a tank.. But the problem is all of the native moist loving trees require a winter to survive, they can't be kept indoors all year long. The only tropical one comming a bit close is mangrove, sometimes they are available in private trade but afaik not in the lfs and are not realy nursed for this.. But it will take a lifetime before you have something substancial from a young and tiny mangrove tree.. :)
Many of the common potted Ficus species can grow very well in very wet soil - or right out direct in the water.........I had several different species, growing allmost everywhere, when I was gardening a rainforest exibition at a Zoo.
Ficus can be trimmed to "Bonzai".......but given their vigour it is a lot of work o_O

Back