• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ERIOCAULON CINEREUM

Iain mlaren

Hi does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I got the ERIOCAULON CINEREUM a few weeks ago and was pretty much dead. Well the other 1 didn't make it and this is just hanging in there. For the last few days these 2 heads have popped up on top. I thought maybe flowers but hasn't flowered. Am I supposed to cut the flower heads off to keep it living? Or is this something else on the top? Any help with this cheers
Iain
20170408_215136.jpg
20170408_214920.jpg
20170408_215010.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality shot. It's on the phone

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They are flower stalks. Cut them off. It may be sign that the plant is dividing.

I thought it looked like flowers. I just figured as the plant is in such bad condition it wouldn't try and flower. I hope it does divide will make up for the other I paid for. So just cut them off. Will do that tonight. Hopefully the plant itself will perk up. Cheers

So just cut the tops off or cut them down by the base? Thanks

Flowers are defenitely not allways a good sign, that a plant is thriving - many types of plants will induce flowers when stressed.

I have tested several different types of Eriocaulon. They are generally only thriving in soft water. Eriocaulon cinereum is one of the hardier types - tolerating much less soft water than most other Eriocaulons. So your plant will probaply recover once acclimaticed, if your water is not really hard.
The Eriocaulon cinereum, though, will very often start flowering right after inplanting in an aquarium. The numerous flowers will defenitely drain energy from the plant, but a healthy plant growing in good conditions will survive, gather energy and sprout new plants from the basis of the rosette, some time after flowering has ended.
If you want to save energy for your new plant you can cut the flowers, yes, not the leaves. Personally I would only cut the actual flower ( =the little ball) and leave the stem, since it can probaply still do photosynthesis and generate energy for your plant.

Hi Mick. Brilliant answer :) thankyou. I shall just cut off the buds. Hopefully it will come to life and be what I hoped it would be. My water isn't quite as soft as 5-6 but is just over 7 part to part tap. Also it's dry starting at the moment which I've heard these plants are quite used to in there natural habitat. Cheers again

Hi ryan. Thanks for that. I think cutting the hole stem might be a better option as I don't want the stem rotting back. I'm in no rush just wasn't sure if the buds were some kind of melting on the tips. Closer inspection shows it's obviously buds.

Hi Dave. Yes buds could be to do with dry start as I believe buds and flowers grow out from the water?

Anyone had experience with growing these from seeds?

Back