• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cliff & Plateau

Had a thought if your doing auto topup Via RO unit with the PLC why not take it one step further and Auto WC, Only a case of a another sensor and solenoid valve. seeing your running water in run a small pipe anyway, Take a small pipe drain out.If you add the waste water post filter their will be no solids that the pipe couldn't handle.
Just a thought :angelic:

Had a thought if your doing auto topup Via RO unit with the PLC why not take it one step further and Auto WC, Only a case of a another sensor and solenoid valve. seeing your running water in run a small pipe anyway, Take a small pipe drain out.If you add the waste water post filter their will be no solids that the pipe couldn't handle.
Just a thought :angelic:

That's what I was looking into last night lol

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/a...BPksMl_Ggcs0qDO_L3ewHQZeyHVRrdESO5hoCpCrw_wcB

Going the optical route instead of 2 or even 3 floating switches which are to big for my tank. On the other side I'm thinking about ditching the Eheim filter for a sump and placing the sensors there.

Auto WCs will be good for every week but I'll still have to trim the carpet at least once a month and use my Python Gravel Washer and Siphon.

I flew this for a while.. :) Corsair Motor.. It was the best time of my life... One thing the instructor says, "Beeing completely in control of the supernatural." Isn't true, i hope it doesn't backlash on him and bites him in the bottoms.. Because you can never be completely in controll.

Also seen them making some potentialy fatal mistakes. And i can tell an happy that i live to tell..

You see them flying awfully close to trees.. And the air around an obstacle can be unpreditable turbulent.. Depending in the wind speed a turbulant bubble of 3 to 5 times bigger than the obsacle.. It can collapse your wing, and a collapsed wing is going into a parachute dive of about 9 metres per second. So flying near obstacles so close to the ground and you get a collapse, it takes a blink of an eye, you feel the collapse, you look up, but it is already to late, you hit the ground before you realise what's happened.

It broke my back and needed buy new tires for a year instead of new shoes.. ;) Unfortunately the damage left me unable to fly ever again.

Just realise everytime you do it, you are for the most part lucky to get down again without scratches.. It's what nobody likes to think about and thats for most pilots their demise.. Thinking your completely in control.. Till the day mother nature tells you otherwise. Usealy this is a very very hard lesson..

But i'm hardheaded as well, if i could i would fly again no doubt about it.. :thumbup:

I flew this for a while.. :) Corsair Motor.. It was the best time of my life... One thing the instructor says, "Beeing completely in control of the supernatural." Isn't true, i hope it doesn't backlash on him and bites him in the bottoms.. Because you can never be completely in controll.

Also seen them making some potentialy fatal mistakes. And i can tell an happy that i live to tell..

You see them flying awfully close to trees.. And the air around an obstacle can be unpreditable turbulent.. Depending in the wind speed a turbulant bubble of 3 to 5 times bigger than the obsacle.. It can collapse your wing, and a collapsed wing is going into a parachute dive of about 9 metres per second. So flying near obstacles so close to the ground and you get a collapse, it takes a blink of an eye, you feel the collapse, you look up, but it is already to late, you hit the ground before you realise what's happened.

It broke my back and needed buy new tires for a year instead of new shoes.. ;) Unfortunately the damage left me unable to fly ever again.

Just realise everytime you do it, you are for the most part lucky to get down again without scratches.. It's what nobody likes to think about and thats for most pilots their demise.. Thinking your completely in control.. Till the day mother nature tells you otherwise. Usealy this is a very very hard lesson..

But i'm hardheaded as well, if i could i would fly again no doubt about it.. :thumbup:

Oh man! Some good info, and I'm sorry that you went down and broke your back, but happy that you are still around to tell the story. Did this leave you with wheels or are you limited in motion / prone to new injury?

I'm trying to get away from something that left many friends dead, both on the streets and the tracks. My race bike is for sale, and paramotoring popped up.

For many years I was basically living on the race tracks... superbike unlimited... went down several times... have some nice Ti bling... it happens when you push your bike and your skills to the limit...

1_letter_edit.png

I ditched that JBJ nonsense tank, put up the Ultum Nature Systems U45 and the second set of Lilly pipes. Will order another Eheim filter for this refugium tank, hopefully one with build in heater. Talking with Eheim Germany, because they don't offer the newest filter in the US. Might have to change out the AC module.

No more black in-tank filter housing! :)

Should I put a frosted film on the back in order to blend out those ugly outlets?

DSC00550.jpg

And while I'm at it, another shot of the main tank.

DSC00545.jpg

Did this leave you with wheels or are you limited in motion / prone to new injury?

I got ghosted by a sudden gush of wind from the left rolling over a couple of trees about 30 metres left of me.. I was about to land with the wind head on.. Hard to say maybe maximum 10 metres above the ground. I have no idea where it came from and how and why that gush suddenly came from the side, probably a bursting thermal bubble popping off somewhere near, these you can't see. But the wind rolled over the trees on top of the glider collapsing it. I remember that wrinkle sound, looking up seeing the colllapse, pulled the right line to keep it straight and feeling the crash. It went to fast to react, it broke my wrist and shatered 2 vertebras.. Was bound to a wheelchair for over a year partialy paralized in the lower extremeties.. Very slowly with lots a work tears and sweat it took about 4 to 5 years for 60% to come back very slowly.. So i can walk again with only one ancle foot orthesis. But lak the power to jump of the sidewalk and not able to run anymore. Else i would be flying again. I think.. But that's just saying, maybe less easy than it seems once you know what it means to loose something most of us take for granted.. And the work and heartship it costs to get it back if it ever comes back. Maybe i would think twice before i launch again.. Dunno.. It's twisted feelings.

But all is about 13 years ago now.. :) Sh#t happens, daunted mother nature on the wrong day, wrong time, wrong place and she picked me to put me back at my place. Where we belong, on the ground actualy..

Hard to explain, what she took from me phisicaly, i got back twice spiritualy.. But that's something induvidual i can not share. :)

Just be carefull man... Good luck.. :thumbup:

That's what I was looking into last night lol

Only issue with an open tank is with the time it takes some plants might dry out.! Find doing the WC on mine is better with glass lids on and no spraying water is required. Larger bore pipes would be better if planning doing WC with PLC.

I got ghosted by a sudden gush of wind from the left rolling over a couple of trees about 30 metres left of me.. I was about to land with the wind head on.. Hard to say maybe maximum 10 metres above the ground. I have no idea where it came from and how and why that gush suddenly came from the side, probably a bursting thermal bubble popping off somewhere near, these you can't see. But the wind rolled over the trees on top of the glider collapsing it. I remember that wrinkle sound, looking up seeing the colllapse, pulled the right line to keep it straight and feeling the crash. It went to fast to react, it broke my wrist and shatered 2 vertebras.. Was bound to a wheelchair for over a year partialy paralized in the lower extremeties.. Very slowly with lots a work tears and sweat it took about 4 to 5 years for 60% to come back very slowly.. So i can walk again with only one ancle foot orthesis. But lak the power to jump of the sidewalk and not able to run anymore. Else i would be flying again. I think.. But that's just saying, maybe less easy than it seems once you know what it means to loose something most of us take for granted.. And the work and heartship it costs to get it back if it ever comes back. Maybe i would think twice before i launch again.. Dunno.. It's twisted feelings.

But all is about 13 years ago now.. :) Sh#t happens, daunted mother nature on the wrong day, wrong time, wrong place and she picked me to put me back at my place. Where we belong, on the ground actualy..

Hard to explain, what she took from me phisicaly, i got back twice spiritualy.. But that's something induvidual i can not share. :)

Just be carefull man... Good luck.. :thumbup:

I get what you are saying, in every way, including the spirituality.

While I haven't had a crash in your category, the last time I (also) broke my wrist. It was that damn scaphoid bone which tends to heal very slowly or not at all. I walked around with that broken wrist for 1 month because they didn't see the crack the first time around. Then they put me in a cast for several month, with no success, followed by surgery, another cast, walking around with a bone growing machine attached and all. I couldn't use my hand for 1 full year, which is nothing compared to your process, but it taught me the same.

We are pretty fragile when we get into extreme sports. It takes a second, sometimes only a split-second and our life will be altered for ever, or taken away.

Obviously my hand and wrist is still not 100%, and never will be. Loss of range of motion, nerve damaged, at some point I'll deal with premature arthritis.

Throw in hearing loss and tinnitus from racing (that wind noise kills it) and some other crap I did to my body...

I used to live in Miami Beach, did that party thing for 7 years straight and moved away to give me a chance to live a healthy life. Well that's what I did for over 3 years and now I'm at "What's the point of just breathing, eating and sleeping?"

Only issue with an open tank is with the time it takes some plants might dry out.! Find doing the WC on mine is better with glass lids on and no spraying water is required. Larger bore pipes would be better if planning doing WC with PLC.

I'll only have a carpet in the main tank, no long plants at all. The focus will be on the SAN SUI stones. The carpet will be bright green and rather short, reassembling the greenish ocean from the Phang Nga Bay. I posted a photo in post #28:

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cliff-plateau.49531/page-2#post-489078

I'll only have a carpet in the main tank, no long plants at all. The focus will be on the SAN SUI stones. The carpet will be bright green and rather short, reassembling the greenish ocean from the Phang Nga Bay. I posted a photo in post #28:

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cliff-plateau.49531/page-2#post-489078

I love this place and this Bond movie (r.i.p Roger Moore btw).

For the carpeting plant; maybe some hc cuba mixed with marsilea crenata and eleocharis sp mini near the rocks to achieve a natural effect?

Some mini pellia glued to the san sui stones would look awesome and very close to the picture too. ;)

I wish I Could say something useful, If I could, I would.

About the custom cabinet, did you choose the design? Because I like how the doors cover all the front, unlike the Ada style ones.

And I hope you use that awesome camera for way more than aquariums and fishes

Enviado do meu HUAWEI GRA-L09 através de Tapatalk

Looks like I never responded to your post. I'm sorry about that. Here it goes...

I'll be using that camera for some street and landscape photography soon. This is from a NYC trip, with the same 90mm lens:

DSC9866.jpg

I designed the cabinet and even calculated the exact dimensions of all panels. I thought about buying a quality table saw and doing it myself, but a proper saw starts at $3000. So I opted for a local cabinet builder and he did a good job all-around. That being said I should have bought that saw. Together with the router I already own I could have matched all my future furniture needs. Next time...

Here the drawing and the measurements:

Stand_1.png

Image1.png

I love this place and this Bond movie (r.i.p Roger Moore btw).

For the carpeting plant; maybe some hc cuba mixed with marsilea crenata and eleocharis sp mini near the rocks to achieve a natural effect?

Some mini pellia glued to the san sui stones would look awesome and very close to the picture too. ;)

That actually sounds pretty good even though I'm not sure about gluing anything to the stone. Is that mini pellia anything like moss? Will it wander and spread out?

Yeah, R.I.P Roger Moore. So sad... I watched his Bond movies literally several hundred times, especially when I was a teen.

Last edited:
That actually sounds pretty good even though I'm not sure about gluing anything to the stone. Is that mini pellia anything like moss? Will it wander and spread out?

What's your guess :angelic:
Much slower growth though & easier to remove from the odd place (occasionally it's more invasive but few tanks provide environments so much to its liking - just include this in your weekly maintenance)

(Sorry haven't looked at your RO system yet re bacteriostat considerations - as long as system is in motion it's not an issue)

Had an opportunity & picked up ~25 Sawbwa resplendens - -all males I suspect, they are shy in quarantine & thin (as expected)

If you look at Amano Iwagumi (especially early stuff before it really became an international business) you'll see more textured planting (takes more growing/trimming technique) rather than monoculture, also he often has some untamed/wild element to the growth

Your 3 main rocks are too much the same height - obviously can alter this when substrate goes in - have you tried the rightmost stone on end so that it's a much taller triangle shape?
Also select smaller supporting stones that will add uneven texture to the carpet (expect carpet to grow over these stones) - tank is only 30cm front to back so you want to add the illusion of greater depth

I suggest you get the small tank up & running & play with plants (& algae ;) ) while continuing with the main tank's Grand Scheme :)

Can't beat GLA for substance & design

Yeah, R.I.P Roger Moore. So sad... I watched his Bond movies literally several hundred times, especially when I was a teen.

Yeah, what an awesome actor, I heard he was a nice Guy too...

Mini pellia will grow slowly and compact with CO2 and good lightning. I got mine since 8 months in my tank, I've trimmed it maybe 3 Times...very easy, you can even just detach small patches with your hands and sold them. Not as invasive as other mosses...

Here it is, from day 0 to day 210;

170526104054693799.jpg

What's your guess :angelic:
Much slower growth though & easier to remove from the odd place (occasionally it's more invasive but few tanks provide environments so much to its liking - just include this in your weekly maintenance)

(Sorry haven't looked at your RO system yet re bacteriostat considerations - as long as system is in motion it's not an issue)

Had an opportunity & picked up ~25 Sawbwa resplendens - -all males I suspect, they are shy in quarantine & thin (as expected)

If you look at Amano Iwagumi (especially early stuff before it really became an international business) you'll see more textured planting (takes more growing/trimming technique) rather than monoculture, also he often has some untamed/wild element to the growth

Your 3 main rocks are too much the same height - obviously can alter this when substrate goes in - have you tried the rightmost stone on end so that it's a much taller triangle shape?
Also select smaller supporting stones that will add uneven texture to the carpet (expect carpet to grow over these stones) - tank is only 30cm front to back so you want to add the illusion of greater depth

I suggest you get the small tank up & running & play with plants (& algae ;) ) while continuing with the main tank's Grand Scheme :)

Can't beat GLA for substance & design

That's why I wrote Iwagumi "Style" setup. I won't follow all those rules. Simplicity and minimalism is huge for me. I strongly believe in the saying "less is more" and most tanks are overcrowded in my eyes, even traditional Iwagumis.

I tried the left stone upright but I can't have anything stick out because of the low sitting Giesemann light.

I'll get the small tank up first, it's the refugium after all, and everything living will go through that tank first. I would have ordered plants for the refugium by now but since I decided to ditch that JBJ tank with that weirdo filter, I still have to buy an alternative filter first. Still waiting on Eheim and the info on the 4e+ 250 with heater element. They are available in Europe but haven't seen any in the US. Eheim USA isn't helpful so I have to wait for an email from Eheim Germany.

Hows your bunch of sawbwa resplendens doing? Would you mind sharing some photos? Are they behaving or going nuts with no females around?

Last edited:
Yeah, what an awesome actor, I heard he was a nice Guy too...

Mini pellia will grow slowly and compact with CO2 and good lightning. I got mine since 8 months in my tank, I've trimmed it maybe 3 Times...very easy, you can even just detach small patches with your hands and sold them. Not as invasive as other mosses...

Here it is, from day 0 to day 210;

170526104054693799.jpg

While that Mini pellia looks great in your setup, that's waaaaay too much for my planned scape and confirms (for me) that I don't want anything growing on the stones.

I love how your fish can go hide in those plants and wood, but I have something in mind that is very simple and more "into" art. Pretty sure I'll have a heavily planted tank at some point but my first tanks are going to be a flat and even carpet (either Elatine Hydropiper or Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba), tall and black SAN SUI stones, one 1 fish species (Rummynose Rasbora) and a few Royal Blue Orange Eye Tiger shrimp. MAYBE I'll consider some dwarf hair grass (Eleocharis Parvula) in some spots as a second plant. Maybe.

By the way, that shrimp will be a great match for the Rummynose Rasbora:

-blue-tiger-shrimp-information-and-wiki-blue-tiger-shrimp-for-sale-and-where-to-buy-AquaticMag-3.jpg

I'm currently working on the tubing for both tanks. I'm working with 4 different tube and hose diameters, hence I need a bunch of reducers, valves, couplers. Some of them I have to order overseas.

On order right now:

2 x CO2 Check Valve GLA Industrial Check Valve
1 x Scissor GLA Pro-Scissor Wave 200mm (Tungsten Carbide)
4 x Reducer Eheim REDUCER 16MM - 12MM 4004980
1 x Glassware Brush Fairhouse Pipe and hose brush
1 x Ferts GLA PPS-Pro Fertilizer Package with 2 x 500mL Dispensers
2 x GH Booster GLA The Ultimate GH Booster - 1lb
1 CO2 Inline Diffuser GLA Atomic CO2 Diffuser Inline 16/22mm
1 CO2 Drop Checker GLA CAL AQUA CLIP Drop Checker

Still have to figure out and order:

1 x Canister Filter Eheim Professionel 4e 350T
1 x Power Converter Amazon 700 Watt
1 x LED Lighting EcoTech XR15FW PRO G4
2 x Frosted background 3M Frosted Crystal
10 Barbs SCH80 3/4" NPT - 1/2" Barb
2 x Hoses and Tubing BRS Silicon Tube
1 x Power Strip Surge Protector
1 x Custom acrylic box for filter Shoppop Displays Custom
1 x LED strip for background FLUVAL Eco-Bright Led Lamp 18in-24in
1 x Fish food
1 x Plants Elatine hydropiper, Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba, dwarf hair grass Eleocharis parvula
24 x Fish Rummynose Rasbora
5 x Shrimp Royal Blue Orange Eye Tiger shrimp
1 x Siemens controller + needed parts + modules

Back