• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Browning brital leaves

Jayefc1

Hi all just need a lil help 23ltr fluval edge (top removed ) been up and running nicely for about 3 month had the normal kinda issues but worked through them (with a lot of help from you.guys) about 2 weeks ago I added some Ludwigia now all my other plants seem to be going kinda discoloured and brital apart from the hc witch is still going strong co2 1 bubble a second 2 hrs before lights drop checker green good flow lights on for 6hrs on about 80% dosing EI 7.5ml alternate days 50 water change every Sunday and a good 30-60 mins a day husbandry (mainly just in ore of what u can achieve) so my question is do i need to up my ferts as the plants get more established or am I lacking some thing just don't want it to get to bad before I can save it

Last edited:
Best pics I can get
20180424_181122.jpg
20180424_181144.jpg
20180424_181226.jpg
20180424_181242.jpg

Could be low CO2, drop checker needs to be the yellow side of lime green at lights on and all the way til lights off.
As plants grow the demand for CO2 increases so you also have to gradually increase the CO2 to compensate.
Also as the plant biomass increases flow and distribution of CO2 can become compromised; e.g. denser growth can become an obstacle to flow.
A FTS would be good, so we can see how your flow works etc.

Can see the flow going round the tank the drop checker was lime green but have just took it out and cleaned and moved it to see if the co2 is reaching all round
15245911834553256613345028254700.jpg

Both pipes on right inflow facing front of the tank outflow facing left come to think of it I added the wood in left corner a couple of weeks ago when I got some moss could this be disrupting things

Just wanna say thanks for the input changed my outflow pipe to the right hand side front and in a couple of days everything has proper perked up seems it was a flow issue buy keep in a close eye on things

Thanks first attempt so learning along the way not 100% im on top of it yet but defo seems like it's going in the right direction

Thanks first attempt not sure I'm 100% on top of it yet but feels like I'm getting there

I trimmed my hc about 2 weeks ago a good trimming now I seem to be getting melting in patches any advice

I trimmed my hc about 2 weeks ago a good trimming now I seem to be getting melting in patches any advice

Same as my update to my thread with my tank. You doing water changes large too? I took my lighting down to try and help it after advice before but still seems prevalent in the tank too. It’s like a black edging to the leaves almost like bba but not at all advanced or hairy just enough to almost seem like burning to me. Still not sure as I too have very high flow high co2 and the carpet is growing well but also showing browning signs again. No idea :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as my update to my thread with my tank. You doing water changes large too? I took my lighting down to try and help it after advice before but still seems prevalent in the tank too. It’s like a black edging to the leaves almost like bba but not at all advanced or hairy just enough to almost seem like burning to me. Still not sure as I too have very high flow high co2 and the carpet is growing well but also showing browning signs again. No idea :/

Wonder if the EI mix is comprehensive enough? I see others with the same mix as us are having the same issues

Melting number one sign of poor CO2 implementation, fluctuating [CO2]. Have you done a pH profile?

Melting number one sign of poor CO2 implementation, fluctuating [CO2]. Have you done a pH profile?

Oddly I have melting in patches too on my MC. Ph changes by 1 roughly after co2 goes in. Growth is happening as you can see but melting in between that. The black leaf edging is also still prevalent on the MC like the other plants as shown in pic 2. Is that like you have Jay?

Points to bba early stages eating weaker leaves but I don’t have an algae prob in general and keep the dosing and changes up weekly.

Should we try flow again next to be overly sure?

1a4c1d3595cd18c307085c3e1af4d985.jpg

748f42cd48741f0ad62095daf432eefe.jpg

Your MC appears to be growing well in some areas whilst melting in others with algae on edges of leaves also which indicates CO2 issues. Most lickly due to poor flow at the carpet level. Your MC looks uneven in the pic with some stems projecting higher than others which will reduce flow around the carpet elsewhere IMO.
You could either
1.Trim the MC flat to improve flow to the whole surface of the carpet.
2. Get more flow at the carpet level so the CO2 enriched water makes it to deeper parts of the carpet.

Do the longer MC stems wave about in the flow?

Ph profile done is 7.4 1 hr co2 kicks in drops steadily when lights come on ph is 6.4 and drop checker lime green on the more yellow side had no issues till trimmed a couple of weeks ago

Ph profile done is 7.4 1 hr co2 kicks in drops steadily when lights come on ph is 6.4 and drop checker lime green on the more yellow side had no issues till trimmed a couple of weeks ago

Back