• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help in getting algae in check

This is a small tank and you should be able to have sufficient water circulation with the lily pipe. I would try placing the intake closer to the substrate. But that will not replace weekly maintenance to remove the detritus that will always accumulate.

You need a minimum of 50% weekly water changes. This will not be problematic in a small tank. You can increase the frequency to 2-4x per week while you are experiencing these issues. After the tank recovers you can stay with 1x per week. And you cannot skip the weekly maintenance. No way around that while you keep injecting CO2.

Thanks a lot. I've ordered a new inlet with surface skimmer as it will look better anyway. Today I'm doing some more cleaning and removal of detritus, moving my hardscape back to a better position as they have moved over time and exposing more hidden detritus which I can now remove easily. Of Course I'll continue to maintain weekly, but I feel it's slowly getting cleaner and I hope this effort will help in the future.

Well uhhh that is disputed.
Its just really expensive pumice. Ive yet to see any proof that matrix actually does what it claims
Right. I use Matrix in all my HOB's (two on each tank). Matrix is providing a large surface area due to its high porosity ideal for bacteria (nitrifying) to grow. Its relatively expensive, but given that it last indefinitely (you can wash it as many times as you want) it's only a one-time expense - and of course you only have to consider the price difference between whatever alternative bio media you would choose instead. All that being said, what the plants (provided there's enough plants) and substrate provide in terms of "filtration" is immensely more important than the choice of bio media.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Right. I use Matrix in all my HOB's (two on each tank). Matrix is providing a large surface area due to its high porosity ideal for bacteria (nitrifying) to grow. Its expensive, but given that it last indefinitely (you can wash it as many times as you want) it's only a one-time expense - and of course you only have to consider the price difference between whatever alternative bio media you would choose instead. All that being said, what the plants (provided there's enough plants) and substrate provide in terms of "filtration" is immensely more important than the choice of bio media.

Cheers,
Michael

I only really got it to replace the stock media that apparently isn't that great for something like you say, that is of high porosity.

Thanks

Steve

Should I check my nitrate levels as they may be too low?
Yes, nitrate test kits are not that accurate....but you want some Nitrate in the aquarium!

Well uhhh that is disputed.
Its just really expensive pumice. Ive yet to see any proof that matrix actually does what it claims
I have used it previously years ago and it does seem to reduce Nitrate.
Probably crushed lava rock might do the same thing.

Interesting stuff everyone.

Ok, an update from me, yesterday, I spent a few hours cleaning and making changes. I have replaced the inlet pipe with the surface skimmer and glass inflow that sits nice and close to the substrate to at least help with the ongoing filtration and a better chance at picking up detritus from the area of most accumulation and now sits at the front of the tank moving the outflow to the back. I've cleaned the pre-filter which was needing another clean for sure and inside the canister. Most weren't too bad but the most accumulation was actually on the bottom foam.

Knowing how much detritus I was removing each session I decided to take everything out including uprooting all my plants so I could see all the detritus on the soil and that I could agitate the soil to release more of it initially into the water column then to settle on the top of the substrate vacuuming it out with the hose. I did this at least 3 times. At the same time, I decided to reduce the soil level and have less of an incline mainly to increase the water column amount and to give stem plants at the back more room to grow. A little way in after the aquascape was going I sort of regretted making the soil so deep so I took that opportunity to try something new. I bought a small wire brush to remove as much of the algae from the rocks as possible. At the moment, the water is looking super clean and clear, There's a possibility that I got used to seeing the water less than clean but in my eyes actually looked clean but really it could have been better, like something I got used to and forgetting what really clean water looks like. After maintenance, it did look clean but perhaps not as clean as it could be but not knowing how clean it can really look, it didn't occur to me (I hope you get what I mean lol).

Anyhow, I'm happy with my progress, the next steps that I can think of are...

1, Perhaps taking up those old roots.
2, Re-arranging the hardscape to a better position.
3, Re-planting
4, Good filter maintenance, pre-filter once a week, canister once a month (looking at the tank now, I don't think it's going to need a more intense regime than that, it's looking a lot cleaner)
4a, To decide on the current maintenance regime and water change schedule.
5, Checking the nitrate levels, (any other levels to check?)
6, Keeping an eye on the plants to see what effect my efforts will have on them.
7, Think about a sparing amount of root tabs.

Again thanks to everyone for your support, I really was close to letting all this beat me and you saved me, I may get an interview for a trainee train driver in the future, and one of the questions that may get asked is, tell us a time you solved a difficult problem and this could be a great answer as problems ain't that difficult to overcome at my current work. Anyway, I digress. Hopefully tomorrow I can get more done.
20220214_200634.jpg

Yes, nitrate test kits are not that accurate...
Hi @GHNelson

Have you ever used the JBL Nitrate Test Kit? That's what I've been using for many years and I am satisfied that it is reliable. If I needed to pay more, I would gladly do so but it's not necessary. I've previously used kits from Hach and LaMotte.

JPC

on top of filter maintenance, substrate maintenance can also help.

doing something like that every week will really help, the soil looks really loaded with detritus, which might contribute to the algae problems.

on top of filter maintenance, substrate maintenance can also help.
Yes, that will be part of my maintenance routine for sure, thanks for the video, I have seen one like this before. I bought a thinner hose to slow down the water flow during water changes not long ago because of my relatively small aquarium so I could have longer to vac the soil, however, instead of going for a 5cm hose, I bought a 5mm hose :lol: What size hose do you think would be good for smaller aquariums? Less than 5cm in diameter?
doing something like that every week will really help, the soil looks really loaded with detritus, which might contribute to the algae problems.
Are you seeing the detritus from the latest picture? What has confused me is the difference between detritus and soil that has just broken up over time, would it be safe to assume that detritus would always be lighter brown in color compared to the usual color of ADA Amazonia? Just to mention, I did have a sandy path running through the middle but disappeared slowly due to soil collapse even though I used corrugated substrate supports.

Yes, that will be part of my maintenance routine for sure, thanks for the video, I have seen one like this before. I bought a thinner hose to slow down the water flow during water changes not long ago because of my relatively small aquarium so I could have longer to vac the soil, however, instead of going for a 5cm hose, I bought a 5mm hose :lol: What size hose do you think would be good for smaller aquariums? Less than 5cm in diameter?
you don't need a gravel vacuum. a turkey baster and regular hose works well. anything will work aslong as it's not too small. the smaller diameter makes it really easy to suck up fish, soil and plants.
Are you seeing the detritus from the latest picture?
yes, but what soil are you using, powder type?

you don't need a gravel vacuum. a turkey baster and regular hose works well. anything will work aslong as it's not too small. the smaller diameter makes it really easy to suck up fish, soil and plants.
That was what I was going to do anyway, there is a fine line between the hose sucking out water too quickly and the diameter being too small creating problems as you stated. I did make a mistake in my measurements, I meant I was using a 1.2cm hose and bought a hose that was 0.5cm but was too small.
yes, but what soil are you using, powder type?
it is the powdered type.

yeah, my powder tropica that was almost two years old looks no where like that, i'd think that's mostly detritus.
Perfect, thanks, I'll keep up the detritus removal for now before planting, hopefully, I can reset everything as closely back to clean as possible.

Is using RO water essential round here with our hard Norfolk water? I was watching Green Aqua and one of the things they say to do is to use soft water, at least some of it. RO water and re-mineralize.

Hi all,
Is using RO water essential round here with our hard Norfolk water
A lot of people use hard water, we have <"East Anglian members"> in @Siege, @MirandaB, @Geoffrey Rea, @mort , @castle etc. A lot of plant nutrients are more available in softer water, but hard water definitely isn't a deal breaker. I'll add in @Tim Harrison as well.

I have a very hard tap supply, but use <"rain water in the tanks">, which has many of the advantages of RO, but without the cost and environmental foot-print.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back