• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A reflection - putting it all into one scape

Hey @JoshP12,

Well it's a great start on a Brazilian tank and who needs to worry about "formal" style types.

Keep up the great work you look like you have a nice eye for balance when it comes to scape arrangement. (particularly if this arrangement was unplanned in a style)
:)
Have you already zeroed in on the cause of issues or would you like some help working out whats happening?
Love to hear your insights!

I’m not sure if you’ve read the entire journal (and no need to) - happy to give a run down of the system if you’d like.

Hey,

Yea I haven't read the full journal yet just been catching up on the advice over the last couple of pages.

Send over stats that be good have you done anything for the Cyanobacteria yet?

Hey,

Yea I haven't read the full journal yet just been catching up on the advice over the last couple of pages.
No worries! Pages 1 pictures should do the trick for setup and substrate.

If you keep going you’ll also see me fiddling with co2 and lights at startup and forcing arcuata to funky things. That was neat. Now the tank is rather “boring”.
Send over stats that be good have you done
Co2 with lights.
Lights 10h -4x at 100% (30 min. Ramp - more for my light/fish when they come as opposed to anything else)
Ferts front loaded:
1667123806708.png

Dosed 10% daily lights off or 100% at water change.

Micro .015 iron proxy with csm+B daily lights on

TDS~ 90-110?

anything for the Cyanobacteria yet?
I don’t see any cyano, sorry.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks, I'll take a look and have a think.
I believe you might have cyanobacteria is in your substrate there is some gas exchange occurring from below the soil line so most likely to be this.

Cyanobacteria.png

I will take a look at the rest of your details a bit later as I'm about to head out.

Hi,
Thanks, I'll take a look and have a think.
I believe you might have cyanobacteria is in your substrate there is some gas exchange occurring from below the soil line so most likely to be this.

View attachment 197031
I did see that in some pockets about three? weeks ago (I’ll find the post in the journal) but not entirely concerned as it receded on its own. I think It was a solid indicator of some bacterial establishment in it from sterility.
I will take a look at the rest of your details a bit later as I'm about to head out.
👍

now that the plants are taller and I can see, I don’t really like the flow pattern for “zen” and I don’t think it’s natural for the fish.

So I cut all the power heads and going just filter to see if it will be distributed well enough (I use the cheap heads that come with it - may look to just get an elbow but definitely avoiding lily pipe etc - cost + don’t need the aesthetic since I have it all contained.

Picssssss :snaphappy:
1667347525696.jpeg

Absolutely decimated. But once I turned on the two power heads, the tips in the back h Ra perked up. Bottoms are rough. But I’m sure if I dust them off, there’s something decent under there.

I’ve been pretty busy to be able to do anything other than look at it briefly to check. My co2 tank also running low so I’ll need to replace that.

The system is pretty taxed at the moment and just needs to settle.

Sorry to see the algae is taking a hold @JoshP12 - I'm not Uri Geller, but . . .

I know you advocate high light on tanks, but . . . I'd wager a high potential for a veritable algae riot in due course,

I know your current thinking might be that distribution issues from turning off the stream pumps has made the algae worse, bit thinking of the algal bloom in general do you still maintain:

it’s very clear light doesn’t cause algae.

(You knew I was going to take you to task on that at some point mate! 😂)

Presumably your dosing and CO2 was on point, so what would you deduce is making the algae so prevalent at this stage if not the high light?

Sorry to see the algae is taking a hold @JoshP12 - I'm not Uri Geller, but . . .
Nothing to be sorry about.
I know your current thinking might be that distribution issues from turning off the stream pumps has made the algae worse, bit thinking of the algal bloom in general do you still maintain:
It is a flow/distribution at my current lighting. I could drop to 30% and alleviate all of it and probably get away with no pumps. But I don’t want to.
(You knew I was going to take you to task on that at some point mate! 😂)

Presumably your dosing and CO2 was on point, so what would you deduce is making the algae so prevalent at this stage if not the high light?
Co2 was not on point when I cut the flow. Then the bloom. Then I fix flow, new tips are fine and if I did some maintenance, I could probably clean up the bottoms.

The tank was in sharp shape before I changed my flow. But I didn’t like the vigor from the side — it would have been smart to just leave it for another month, let the tank settle and then fiddle with flow, but I just changed it.

You had quite significant algae appearing before you cut the flow to the power heads on Sunday though:

1666987711348-jpeg.196967
What you see in there is systemic. Look at the post water change. The plants are clean.

Edit: analogy - would you say that a bodybuilder who is in off season sitting at 20% body fat isn’t “jacked” just because their fat covers their muscle definition? If they continue to persist with training and eating well but in surplus, weight increases - but muscle also grows. Peak season is under the fat.

When I cut the flow, I “catabolized muscle in my analogy” (stopped eating protein and stopped training)… some of those leaves will be nuked. Same as when I was low on co2 and had to react to turn it up since leaves were thinning.

Last edited:
What you see in there is systemic. Look at the post water change. The plants are clean.

Lol semantics! Algal growth is algal growth, irrespective of whether you can clean it off for a photo 😋 . . . and even so, it just comes back after cleaning it as you've seen.

The question is what is causing the algal growth? That's what I'm posing to you.

Edit: analogy - would you say that a bodybuilder who is in off season sitting at 20% body fat isn’t “jacked” just because their fat covers their muscle definition? If they continue to persist with training and eating well but in surplus, weight increases - but muscle also grows. Peak season is under the fat.

And that is the weirdest analogy I've seen for a while Josh! 😂 I thought my car ones were bad! 😂

Lol semantics! Algal growth is algal growth, irrespective of whether you can clean it off for a photo 😋 . . . and even so, it just comes back after cleaning it as you've seen.
But I know lol. I cleaned it so I could see the forms clearly to know if the tank and plants were nuked or just the system.
The question is what is causing the algal growth? That's what I'm posing to you.
I can say what is not causing it: unhealthy plants.

Since they are fine. So it’s something else.

The algae of yesterday - co2/light balance.

The cloudiness is bacteria and probably related to my substrate 😂. Different issue rather than the dust or maybe the same …
And that is the weirdest analogy I've seen for a while Josh! 😂 I thought my car ones were bad! 😂
Hah! I got more where that came from!

Last edited:
Won’t be much of an update any time soon I don’t think.

Basically, two pumps suffice instead of 3 - that’s good. A little nicer flow for when the livestock arrive.

There is a clear distinction from when I cut the flow and when we fixed it. And a clear distinction from the 6 back to back waters … almost like pseudo old tank syndrome shock.

In any case, feel no need to fiddle with anything else. Maybe dust off some leaves here and there - particularity the Monte Carlo.

Going to let the system dictate water change. So 10% daily on macros and then my micros. Leave it all. And TDS has settled around 120. If it goes to 130 and climbs I’ll water change a few days in a row just one a day though.

What do we think: 1 month for it all to clear?

When the plants get close to surface I’ll do a big trim.

Lol. Little pockets of these Monte Carlo are sprouting out of the ground (clumps of a couple leaves).

Fts:
View attachment 197587

I commend you for continuing with the warts-and-all photos Josh - still an algae-fest but are you at least still getting the plant forms you are seeking from the high light?

What do you put down as the cause of the algae?

Back