• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

Thanks @PARAGUAY, you should have seen it before we got to grips with it. It was impossible to tell where the drive ended and the boarder began. We hope to replace the tarmac on one side or the other with soil and planting at some point as well. Both garden and house will be a long term project.

What a gorgeous day it’s been today so thought I’d post some pond pics while Iv been working on it today. It’s t ime to give my pond a good clean as the blanket weed is starting to gather so that needed pulling out and treating first. Cut back last year’s dead growth on the marginal plants and wait for the new shoots to wake up.

Iv got lovely red Lobelia Cardinalis and forget me not amongst other growing part submerged around the pond edges and different types of lilies in the pond. One variety is already flowering! I do love pond plants you get the most interesting insects. No frog spawn yet though.

The moss growing on the waterfall rocks is looking really nice too.

Attachments

• 2AE7B64C-BEBB-420B-B164-0FB915338FB6.jpeg
    2AE7B64C-BEBB-420B-B164-0FB915338FB6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 0C13DF65-1B40-44C1-8003-40B16FCA24AD.jpeg
    0C13DF65-1B40-44C1-8003-40B16FCA24AD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
  • 27BDE671-0277-4679-8FD1-F54315DEDF6C.jpeg
    27BDE671-0277-4679-8FD1-F54315DEDF6C.jpeg
    762.3 KB · Views: 105
  • FB40B188-A11E-4AC0-8B90-5B78010151F3.jpeg
    FB40B188-A11E-4AC0-8B90-5B78010151F3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 108
  • 13030B37-1470-4E3A-8E22-B99DC48420FD.jpeg
    13030B37-1470-4E3A-8E22-B99DC48420FD.jpeg
    953.7 KB · Views: 112
Hi all,
now is a good time to keep an eye on the sale section in garden centres.
I tried that this afternoon, there were plenty of plants that looked a little the worse for wear (or a lot the worse for wear) but they still had their original (and "aspirational") price tags.

Here are a couple from the garden, they were plants that I bought originally, but have done well in the 20 years since. It is quite cold in Corsham, but they seem to survive OK. The Clematis is rooted behind the shed, and the Grape Hyacinth in a dry, sunny spot under the house eaves.

Clematis armandii
Clamatis_armandii2023.jpg

Muscari macrocarpum "Golden Fragrance"
Muscari_macrocarpum2023.jpg

cheers Darrel

I tried that this afternoon, there were plenty of plants that looked a little the worse for wear (or a lot the worse for wear) but they still had their original (and "aspirational") price tags.
Looking marvelous Darrel, very nice plants. And I know what you mean. My wife and I call it the Dead Plant Society. But a constant habit of dropping by can yield some good results. We recently bought a very large bayleaf, with an original and aspirational price tag of ÂŁ99.99. We got it for 19.99. It just needed repotting and some TLC. It's already looking better.

Brilliant, thanks for identifying that Daniel. 👍 I have been trying to find out what this was for ages! I thought it wasn’t a lily by the leaf shape but didn’t know what else to call it. I really like it, I t’s got a nice character and the flowers last for ages.

Hi all,

Here are a couple from the garden, they were plants that I bought originally, but have done well in the 20 years since. It is quite cold in Corsham, but they seem to survive OK. The Clematis is rooted behind the shed, and the Grape Hyacinth in a dry, sunny spot under the house eaves.

Clematis armandii
View attachment 203519
Muscari macrocarpum "Golden Fragrance"
View attachment 203518

cheers Darrel
Amazing what you can do with plants that look like they are on their last legs…they look great.
I quite like waiting for places like Tesco and Aldi to forget again to water their outdoor plant racks and then end up having to sell them off cheap to get rid of them. Iv got several acers in my garden I paid 50p each for as they looked dead in their pots.

Hi all,
Cheating, because it is at work again.

I bought some Tulip "Little Beauty" bulbs in the autumn, but afterwards I wasn't sure about them and eventually planted them in the <"gravel at work">. They've just started flowering and I think I may have made a mistake with them, because they are lovely........

Tulip_Little_BeautyRS.jpg

Tulip_Little_Beautya (2).jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
but an air frost last night in Corsham.
Ouch, an unexpected frost might be worse than this. The Swedish April weather is notoriously unpredictable, and we might get the occasional bit of snow and hard freeze even into May, so most people just plan around this. On the other hand we had daytime temperatures around 17-18C last week which was nice.

My favourite Japanese Maple, the spring leaf colour on this variety is lovely.
This was a Tesco dried up cast off in one of those cardboard tube boxes costing me 50p when I bought it about 10 years ago. Now it’s a mother plant Iv used several times for air layering new trees off. It’s a great technique for multiplying your tree stock if you’ve never tried it and great for making bonsai’s with!
IMG_8009.jpeg

Some shots of the garden from over the last month or so. Slowly discovering what's in there. Good and bad.

Bluebells everywhere.
IMG_7243.jpeg

Rhododendron surrounded by ground elder. Any tips for getting rid of the latter? Also the hedge in the background is yew, I cut it back severely and it didn't like it very much. It's sprouting new shoots now but new growth is a bit patchy. I'm hoping it'll recover eventually though.
IMG_7244.jpeg

A different rhododendron
IMG_7260.jpeg

Viburnum tree in flower. The scent is amazing.
IMG_7245.jpeg

Peony
IMG_7274.jpeg

Back