• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

advice on a co2 setup for a nano

peter1979

I have just posted a topic about filtration for this tank, and i am also interested in setting up a co2 system. The tank i have is a wave cubo, 30 litre nano tank. Its my first tank and i have it planted with some crypts, anibias, moss (java and flame) hair grass and java fern. I have the standard 18W compact fuoro bulb (wave solaris) on it and am dosing flourish excel (1.5ml day) and TPN+ 1.5ml per week. I am interested in getting a co2 system but not sure what route to take. I have about £100 to spend (this depends on if i get a new filter or not) and would appreciate some advice. I have had the tank planted for about a month, and have 6 x male endlers at present.

Peter

If cheap is the name of the game then a fire extinguisher set up will cost between £60-80 Ebay is your friend in this game.

Any ideas how long a 2kg FE CO2 bottle would last on a moderately planted 30l tank? as a rough guess?

Sounds good, a year would be very reasonable on a cost basis. I am tryng to weigh up what would be more beneficial to me, a pressurized co2 system, or a DIY version and a new external filter, on the basis that i only have a small tank right now.

You cannot beat a pressurised system, it will work out much cheaper than all the other types.

You can also obtain a filter second hand, or use a small internal filter, but all depends on your bioload.

Just to back up what Luis is saying - i've got externals on all three of my tanks (1x Eheim2234, 1xFluval203 on a 24l, 1x Fluval 303) and didn't pay more than £25 for any of them secondhand, andthey all work brilliantly. I got them from either eBay or Aquarist Classifieds. The Fluvals are considered a bt old now but as long as they push water out in the right quantity i don't care! (to paraphrase ceg4028 "An external filter is just a bucket with a pump!").For your CO2 to do its job properly you'll be best with an external as it gives you the kind of flow needed to distribute the gas roundthe tank. To get the gas and not the filter MIGHT not work (emphasis on MIGHT - i'm no CO2 expert so one of the more experienced folks might be better to confirm/deny this). I'm in a simialr position regarding budget and i've bought the external filter first, just been to pick up the FE today (another eBay bargain!) and i'll be getting the regulator etc. next month
Have fun whatever you choose!
Matt

i've been searching ebay for filters and co2 regs, haven't checked out aquarist class yet. My only fear is tha with a FE co2 system i would be trying to run before i could walk, this being my first tank.

Know what you mean! This is where this site comes into its own - all the tutorials are brilliant and easy to understand for us newbies, and when you look through the forums you realise that pretty much every mistake that CAN be made HAS been made by someone, and the answer is usually on here!
Cheers
matt

Hi Peter

you have all the tuts and forum and if you wont try you will never know!

be carefull with co2 good water flow EI and you will be fine. ;)

Well, im ordering the set up today for a FE co2 system. Total cost is 102.90. I couldnt make up my mind on an ebay regulator so went with one which was about £5 more expensive from a uk site.

FE - 24 delivered
Reg + solonoid - 66
bubble counter/check valve - 4.70
diffuser (x3 just incase) - 7.50
tubing - 3.20
suction cups (x10) - 3.50

total £108.90

lets hope i dont destroy my house with this thing.

Back