• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing scratches from glass.

murph

I did find annold post on this topic but it's been dormant for a while,

My second hand tank is pretty badly scuffed on the inside, someone has tool a Brillo pad or similar to it. With the lights on it's very noticable looks a little better when filled and if you tilt the lights to the back wall slightly.

Anybody had any success with removing scratches?

I've bought the kit from this site

http://www.glassscratchrepair.co.uk/

but it's not here yet.

I'll post some pictures later, it's pretty bad.

heres the damage
4575549393_6488b36ba1_b.jpg

with the black background its pretty bad

without the background its better
4575549403_cc13e35d3c.jpg

So what I'm thinking is to get some of that opaque film for bathroom windows and put that on?

Anyone else had a go at that?

Several people on here use the frosted film with backlighting. Not me though as I have fluval filters
with ugly black hoses. I'm sure you could find a few examples in the journals.

I use one on my current optiwhite. I imagine it will look much better once lit and full of water.

Got my polisher stuff today, I'll have a wee ho at it in the morning and see how we get on!

Yeah let us know how you get on, I've got a few annoying scratches on my tank too so would be interested to see the results.

I've gave the tank a good going over for 3-4 hours but i'm not sure how much difference it will have made. I'll neeed to get it full of water and the lights on to see if theres any improvement.

there are still some visable scratches and I reckon that i have to large an area to polish out to see real improvements.

Well not a revelation but the scratches on the tank are now much less apparent.

They are still there however have been smoothed (i think) so that they don't seem to catch the light as much. All in all I'm pretty happy. I think if i was to put in 20+ hours you could pretty much get rid of them all but to be honest its not that much fun!

4589041811_9f69323ed6.jpg

4589036143_864684e74c.jpg

It certainly looks much better. I can imagine you could get it even smoother if you used a buffing cloth on a polisher.

Cheers Garuf, i though I was fighting a losing battle with this as I was doing it but I think I've done enough so that at least my heart doesn't sink every time I look at the tank.

I did try a wee bit of this but noticed no difference!

Except that it was minty fresh of course!

Back