• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does hc Need C02?

Ben M

hi, i'm looking for a new nano tank ATM, about 35-40l and i would like to have it as a heavily planted shrimp tank. i have seen andyh's 35l 'deep rooted' shrimp tank, which has been a huge inspiration to what i want. i would like to have a hc carpet like Andy's, but i won't be able to use pressurized c02. i will use liquid carbon. will hc grow with only liquid co2 and EI ferts? also, what lighting would be needed for hc? the other plants that i intend to use don't need pressurised c02 (i think). i will be using crypts, mosses, java fern and dwarf hairgrass.

cheers :D

Hi Pesty

Sorry of the negativitity in my replies to your posting.

HC likes light and plants that like light like lots of fertz and Co2, I had hc in my little tank and I struggled with it low light and limited Co2 where my other tank which has middle / semi high light, plenty of fertz and co2 is fine apart from where my crypt's have cast a shadow or block some light getting onto the hc which has made the hc go a very dark green, where its not shadowed is grass green. So I would say you would struggle without the aid of Co2.

Regards
Paul.

thanks, without your negativity i'd have made many costly mistakes. :thumbup:

about how much would a co2 system cost for a 35l ish tank? i wouldn't be able to use a fire extinguisher as my parents think it's dangerous, and i'm still probably pushing it asking for a proper one, but if they're quite cheap i might be able to talk them round.

pest control said:
i wouldn't be able to use a fire extinguisher as my parents think it's dangerous

:crazy: I just don't get this way of thinking. gas cookers are more dangerous.

in our lives, we say FE's placed everywhere, shops factory's etc...their there to rescue us, not kill us.

if connecting a regulator was deemed dangerous, then we'd need to hold licenses for gas bottles!....which we don't.

FE, connect reg whilst safety pin is in, then depress and gaffer tape up. simples

pressurised containers?....oh no! watch the hairspray :wideyed:

hi, i know it's not dangerous, but the parents don't agree. i've tried talking them around loads of times, but it won't work. could you recommend a/some co2 system(s) suitable for my tank, and what sort of price they'd be?

to prove that a little co2 system with a small cylinder isn't dangerous, i'll put a few cans of deodorant where the tank is going to go, and see if they blow up :lol:.

i don't know why they're so bothered. we've got a huge air cylinder in the house for our air rifles, and that's never blown up.

pest control said:
thanks, without your negativity i'd have made many costly mistakes. :thumbup:

about how much would a co2 system cost for a 35l ish tank? i wouldn't be able to use a fire extinguisher as my parents think it's dangerous, and i'm still probably pushing it asking for a proper one, but if they're quite cheap i might be able to talk them round.

Hi Pesty

I fully understand your parents concerns regarding a FE, my Mrs was the same would rather have a proper Co2 bottle than an FE, I have both now - all in all there the same - they store pressurised Co2 gas, both types of bottles have been or will require testing at some time and carry a 10 year test certificate, you dont get that with a hairspray can and not even on a gas boiler.

If you want a kit have a look on Ebay for a JBL kit - not the new type like this one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-ProFlora-m500 ... 1c12b4e704 as there are problems with the regulator - its the old type you want.

Regards
Paul.

Back