• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quick Question.

lil-lynx

Right i would like to know what size bottle for DIY co2 for a 400 litre tank (5x2x1.5) and also how much sugar and yeast that will need to be added.

please help :)

Agreed, forget it. Diy really is inferior, that's why it's never been popular with serious hobbyists on this side of the pond, it's like wanting to buy a lada when you could get a porsche. I can not stress this enough, spend money on your equipment and your time on research and you will have a faultless tank. Skimping on either will just leave you with either the wrong equipment for the job or no knowledge on how to rectify the algae that you will no doubt result in.

What are your goals? You've said you already have a regulator in another thread, is this for another tank? Light filter etc? You're wasting time and money bothering with DIY.

thanks you two. nope this 400 litre tank is my dads it has two 54w t5 and a arcadia 3 series ( two halide verson ) but only one of the halide are working as the other one is blown.

It has to external filter which are a fx5 and a tetra tec 1200 but might be swaping the tetra tec 1200 with the 2400, not sure yet, anything else you need to know ? thanks for all the advice :)

The clue that it won't work is right there in the first paragraph, t5 and halide.

Hi,

A 400 litre tank is one hell of a big tank to start off with if your learning how to keep plants and could be fraught with potential disasters. Not saying its impossible but its a massive undertaking if your not sure of what your doing.

Forget DIY co2 altogether, period, its just to unstable. On small tanks dose liquid carbon and on anything bigger invest in the right kit and do it properly it'll save you a lot of grief. Co2 FE's normally offer the best value for money by far once you have the necessary kit unless you know someone who can sort you out with pub bottles. Purely as an example I don't pay more than £5 for 2kg of co2 which lasts about 2 months. You can get 2kg FE's on ebay as and when they come up cheaply and get them refilled if you can source someone local to do it for you.

Its worth having a quick look at James's planted tank website at the algae article section and note just how many strains of algae are caused by poor or fluctuating co2 levels if you need convincing.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Also with regard to the possibility of swapping out a TT EX 1200 for a 2400 I'd think again. Read this.

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2408&hilit=tt+ex+2400+review

Regards, Chris.

Back