• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Broken Ex1200 (again + again)

Re: Broken Ex1200 (again)

so they sent me the spare parts... and it has worked but now all i need is the actual plastic cannister bit and the small plastic rings i needed to fix my problem and i have a whole new filter made from spares. :lol:

Tonser said:
Same for me - no more Tetratec. Both my EX1200's started leaking, and Tetra were very good and sent me a pair of replacement filterheads overnight from Germany which I was pretty impressed with - until they both leaked everywhere too :)

I decided to ring tetra again about this last Thursday, and a complete brand new EX1200 arrived today, and another one should be here tomorrow - you really cant beat that for customer service, especially as they did not ask for any receipt or proof of purchase. I just hope they both work without leaking now !!

Nick, once I get them sorted and working I'll probably have the spares you need ;)

Tony

right..
il doube check what i definately need and will let you know. obviously i can pay for them and probably pick them up if you have a whole cannister bit... (i have the motorhead..)

Tonser, did two die on you or just the one?!

Good to hear, Like I say I've never had an issue with my ex1200's but did have a leaky ex700. There customer service really is excellent.

I had the same as Tony. I can not fault their customer service. :clap:

i.e.
replacement head sent due to leak.
then leak re-appeared 3 months later, and they sent me a whole new filter.

Plumbed in the new filter last week and it works a treat (but for how long ...)

just got in from work and guess what is broken again.
got the reliablilty of an old skoda.

think i might leave this hooby for a few years as i cannot afford to keep replacing products that are built like crap.
my tank looks terrible as its only running one filter and no co2 now.

Nick16 said:
got the reliablilty of an old skoda.

It could be worse you could own a tetratec ex1200 and a skoda.
oh, wait a minute.
I do own a tetratec ex1200 and a skoda :lol:
(Both of which break down regularly :rolleyes: )

Nick16 said:
think i might leave this hooby for a few years as i cannot afford to keep replacing products that are built like crap. my tank looks terrible as its only running one filter and no co2 now.

Try to hang in there Nick.

Hi,

It is possible to repair the leaking filter head quite easily.

Usually the problem lies with either the hose end connectors themselves or the hose connection unit.

If its the hose end connectors you'll usually see water on top of the filter housing itself and the best course of action is to first check for good seals to the hosing and if thats good to replace the hose end connectors themselves which are about a tenner a pair. I've tried dismantling them but its very tricky and the lugs holding the screw ring on snap off easily.

However more often the case is that the connection unit itself is the problem as this has a bit of an inherent design problem associated with it. If this is leaking then the water trickles down the outside of the canister so that it appears to be a faulty canister filter seal but there is an overflow channel which the water follows and it comes out underneath the canister clips.

The solution to this problem is to dismantle the hose connector unit by undoing the 4 screws underneath it, take it apart noting how it has to go back together paying particular attention to the sealing rings and the ball valves. Its quite self explanatory once you've seen it apart. Anyway on the plastic angled tails that the hose end connectors screw onto there is a two raised ridges with a gap between them. IMO there should have been a seal fitted in this gap and its been omitted for some reason as this is were the unit leaks from. What I do is to get some standard PTFE tape and wrap it round and round very tightly in that gap until it's few mm proud of the raised plastic ridges then reassemble the unit which will now need a little force to do and screw everything back together. Its worked for me on more than one occation.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Chris.

I have two Tetratec ex 1200s and one has been solid for the last two years, the other however has had leaking problems, Tetra customers service is great and they have sent me out a spare part before, but now setting up my new tank, the same filter will not circulate water, but also has started leaking again.

I went out and bought an Aquamanta...lol only to find out on the net that it is apparently designed by some bod who was behind the tetratecs originally. :?

Hmmm well, I understand some of Nick's frustration. Also if any reassurance for the future choice of filter I have a 2080 and an FX5 of the same age as the tetra tecs and never had a problem with them.

yeah, its deffnaelt y going to be an FX5 for me next i feel. but in 4 years time, who knows whats going to be on the market.

thats when i aim to re-enter the hobby. :D

PM said:
Sorry to p*ss in everyone's chips :wideyed: but I always say you get what you pay for.

That's why Eheim are so reassuringly expensive! ;)

I agree that you generally get what you pay for but I'm still very happy with my EX1200's and I I never eat soggy chips anyway. :) :) :) . I'm running 3 EX1200's which cost me less than 1 similar Eheim filter. Yes I would love to run 3 big Ehiems instead but I simply couldn't justify the cost to the other half.

I know some have had problems and I feel for them really I do but I also have to question if they've really investigated the problem fully as well and their DIY plumbing skills. A couple of posts back I listed the problems that I've had but really there very minimal and simple to fix, there's only 1 other seal that can go wrong and that's the main canister seal as far as I can see. Of course I could be wrong but I seriously doubt it.

Regards, Chris.

Back