• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish Stock for my 3ft

chrisjj

Seedling
I'm setting up a 3ft tank (circa 100ltr) and was just thinking of fish ideas. Ph will be around 7-7.4. So far I've got:

2 Apistogramma cacatuoide
12 - 15 threadfin rainbows
12 - 15 rummynose tetra OR celestial pearl danios OR vietnamese white cloud minnows (can't decide yet?)
4 otocinclus
4 amano shrimp

I have rummys in my other tank - I like them a lot, but should I be trying something else :?

That would be around 30 - 35 fish - any more room?
Comments & suggestions would be appreciated.

3ft is a good size, I have about 25 vietnamese cardinals in my 2ft aquarium, you'd easily double that for yours as you have more height and possibly depth too, or go for two shoals of 20 or so similarly sized fish?

Personally one species of 25+ would be nice instead of splitting them down - the VC's are said to stay 1 inch or shorter so you'd get more of those than the rummynose etc.

As always, my plans keep changing......

I've gone off the minnows & I've heard that cacatuiodes can be pretty agressive, so

2 german rams (pair)
12 - 15 threadfins
4 otos

and a small shoal of something else - needs to be close schooling - any suggestions???..........

Hi all,
Apistogramma cacatuoides are pretty mellow for a cichlid, I've kept them for a long time and none of mine have ever killed one another, in a 3ft you could 1m:3f harem. The females should be able to raise some fry as well if you have Thread-fin Rainbows as dithers, they are also tolerant of much harder water than most SA dwarf Cichlids . Some of the other Apistogrammas are good as pairs, A. baenschi is one that is usually available, it needs softer water than A. cacatuoides, but it is a looker. I wouldn't keep any other fish, the cichlids, Otos and rainbows is about the right stocking.

Have a look here for more details: <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.phpf>

I like Rams, but you need to get them from a breeder, as the quality of Rams in LFS is shocking, and I wouldn't risk it. Rams do best in fairly still, very warm, very soft water so that is another consideration, they are also hopeless parents compared to Apistogrammas. Otocinclus like some flow and cooler water.

cheers Darrel

Cheers,

Like I said, it changes al the time!.....

I like the idea of a pair of centre piece fish, rather than 3 or 4, so:

2 (pair) & a. cacatuoides
2 whiptail catfish
3 otos
9 threadfins - 3 male, 6 female
9 or 11 celestial pearl danios

I've heard that the threadfins would not apreciate the 7.4pH, prefering around 7 - any comments?

Have kept the Threadfin rainbows in precisely the 7.4 pH you mention without incident. The tank was not planted and over time ,(3or 4 months) ,,through natural processes in aquarium ,my ph drifted downward closer to 7.2 and my water is moderately hard.
Have kept Discus in same water, though it was too hard for successful spawning of these fish.
In planted tank with possibly CO2 injection?,I would expect the pH to be more easily lowered and perhaps remain stable but in my view,,the Threadfins would do well either way so long as water is not too warm.

List getting there now ;)

2/3 appistogramma cacatuoides triple red
6/9 forktail rainbow fish (fructatus?)
12 narrow wedge harlequins
4 otos
Another shoal of small schooling fish?...........

(will be a 4ft tank - 150ltr ish :D )

Back