• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

mystery slime

toby

Seedling
hello there! i am a new member and i am starting up a new aquarium. I have aquired a piece of aquarium wood for my tank witch is currently maturing.After soaking the wood inb a bucket for about a week to remove the tanning i added it to the tank but soon noticed a white slime growing on the wood i have tried everything possible to remove it but it always grows back.The wood also smells bad...any suggestions? thankyou Toby

Hi
Unless you have a way of boiling it to see if this stops happening after that, I'd be tempted to ditch it! Find q nice dead dry piece and soak it yourself, or a wet piece that's been submerged for a time and prep it as best you can. Using found pieces of wood is ok, just be very cautious and thorough in your preparations.
Cheers
Gavin

Thanks gavin,i thought i would have to throw it away i tried boiling it for an hour and it grew back the next day! The only thing i can think is that it must be decaying and it is some form of bacteira..Shame though it was a nice piece and its not cheap!

Whoa! Hold on... You bought it???? Who from, a shop or a private buyer? If it was a shop just take it back and look at a replacement piece and cross your fingers you don't have the same trouble. Infact even if you bought it privately, I'd still be shouting for money back if it's not useable.

Hi Toby. The stuff you are getting is totally normal and will disappear in some time when bacteria inhabits the wood. The slime is not harmful to the fauna as well. It happens a lot to a new wood. I just had the same with the redmoor and it disappeared once the tank has cycled. Just keep removing it if it distracts you a lot.
Regards.

ok i removed the *problem* piece and all other wood from the tank and after a few days and some water changes all trace of it have dissapeard.i have added the other wood back and the problem piece sits in my shed for now.thanks for all advise,all is good for now :)

It'll do no harm it just looks naff. My shrimp loved the stuff though :)

Back