• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

do people run carbon in there nano planted ?

gattsps

Seedling
Hello
i am new to this forum and would like to share this question please .
I have a 30l dennerle cube using 100% reminaralised ro, deponot sustrate , gh5 kh 6-7, . i have the small dennerle corner filter and tbo i dont find it that great , the water needs a polish with carbon but the filter has no capacity to hold any , the question is could a run carbon with the dennerle liqiud fertalizer ? or will the carbon strip it out as it does with my marine sps system .? I am also using a small yeast co2 unit

many thanks barry

You can run carbon in a planted tank, it just means you may have to dose more ferts to make up for the amount that may be removed, easy as that! Just keep an eye out for deficiencies in your plants and they will tell you if you need to add more. One neat trick is to use carbon in the filter when starting up to remove ammonia and once its absorbing properties are exhausted it will still work as biological media so theres no panic on changing it straight away.

If its just 'polishing' your after as in removing small particles then why not just use finer sponge or filter floss?

thanks mate
yeah i am looking for the smallest external for it and then maybe i can boost the floss and sponge , the little dennerle issnt as good as i thought it may be giving they are a very matured and trusted company .

any ideas on a small external ?
app tmc have the nano external thats just come out

cheers barry

nice one . haha. i havent the room for that though ! need something compact .
I noticed you live in my area .where do you go for your stuff?
cheers

I have a dennerle cube as well, I struggled with their filter for a year as I was reluctant on getting an external filter as I don't really have space. In the end I had enough, water didn't stay clean that long and the flow was poor.
Bite the bullet and get an ecco pro 130 or next size up they're ace. Mine is next to my bed, not in a cabinet and it is so quiet. it's pretty perfect and I have had crystal clear waters ever sinse. Mine was £80 posted.

thanks for the advice , i went for the new tmc nano100 in the end , very well priced and cracking little filter , also dead silent . we will see how the water improves i hope .
cheers barry

Mrmikey said:
I have a dennerle cube as well, I struggled with their filter for a year as I was reluctant on getting an external filter as I don't really have space. In the end I had enough, water didn't stay clean that long and the flow was poor.
Bite the bullet and get an ecco pro 130 or next size up they're ace. Mine is next to my bed, not in a cabinet and it is so quiet. it's pretty perfect and I have had crystal clear waters ever sinse. Mine was £80 posted.

yes mate i certainly dont go much on there filter . are you running carbon in your external?
cheers

Back