• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Preparing Colombo Flora Base?

Ben M

Hi, I have recently bought some Colombo Flora Base, and i'd like to know how to prepare it before putting it into my aquarium. I understand that I must first wash it to remove dust as I would with sand/gravel? After that, however i'm not sure. I've read that I need to soak it for a period of time before putting it into the tank as there will be an ammonia spike, so i must do daily water changes. Is that correct? So would it be easier to soak it in a bucket so i can do the water changes easier? And for how long would i need to soak it? I won't be adding any fish/inverts until i've got it all planted and everything is growing well, so the ammonia spike wouldn't be a problem to any fish, but what effect does an ammonia spike have on the plants and the whole tank in general? can it cause algae? The filter will be cycled, as i'll use some media from my main tank.

i'd appreciate some help, as i'm not sure where to start with these new fangled substrates. :crazy:

cheers :D

pest control said:
I understand that I must first wash it to remove dust as I would with sand/gravel?

no mate. simply put it in the tank and fill carefully. It's the best on the market for it's clarity.

With regards to any ammonia release or spikes, and depending on which way your going to do the tank...high/low tech
a high tech route would see larger, more frequent water changes.

Your cycled filter will help loads. :thumbup:

cool, that'll save some work. :thumbup:

the tank is going to be highish tech, it''s a superfish aqua qube 40 tank with the 18w light as standard. i will be doing EI and probably liquid carbon. will it be ok just to put in and go? and will a weekly 50% WC be adequate?

cheers :D

Back