• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

carpet plant

moez

Seedling
Hi all

I have a Juwel Rekord 800 tank with two 18W T8´s and no CO2. Is there any carpet plant I can grow in these conditions.

Thanks in advance
MoeZ

I have looked at Marsilea minuta and Marsilea hirsuta. Do you think that those would grow?

I have that same tank, but am currently in the process of upgrading the lights to 2 x 24W T8s in a home-made hood, as the ends and corners of the tank are so dark nothing will grow there. I have tried all sorts of potential carpet plants in various parts of the tank with poor results under the 2 x 18W tubes. I have good flow from an external Eheim Pro 3 350 with full length spray bar and CO2 from UpAqua inline diffuser. EI dosing. I have found that:

• Lilaeopsis brasiliensis grows and spreads slowly in the better lit areas (i.e. the front), but it consistently gets black leaves (some sort of algal response I guess), despite high CO2 levels and good flow. Might well be worth a try.
  • Marsilea hirsuta is growing, but very slowly.
  • Echinodorus tenellus seems to be doing well, again in the brighter lit areas.
  • Staurogyne repens has just melted and doesn't want to come back (planted in the dark ends - I'm hoping that the new lights will go on in time to save this one).
  • Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba'' - tried it. Non starter (perhaps the Cory's just pulled it all out before it could get a grip).
  • Hemianthus micranthemoides is just hanging on, growing tall, but not thriving.
  • Pogostemon helferi just sits there doing nothing.
I'm open to suggestions if I'm doing anything wrong here...

Peter

moez said:
Hi all

I have a Juwel Rekord 800 tank with two 18W T8´s and no CO2. Is there any carpet plant I can grow in these conditions.

Thanks in advance
MoeZ

MoeZ

Here is a shortcut to tropica's list of foreground plants
http://www.tropica.com/plants/use/foreground.aspx

If you click on the desired plant it will provide all the requirements for the plant to grow successfully.

Regards
paul

Back