• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forrest Bridge 300lt. Vid update 5 may. Emergent growth!

Re: Forrest Bridge. Update 03 01 2011

Chris, i really like the pile of rocks that you have to the left. I may try something like that next. :thumbup:

Thanks bud :)

Its not quite a pile though ;)

I built up the back with soil so at the back the soil/sand depth goes right to the bottom. The cliff is placed infront and I used bonsi potting mesh in the soil to support it in places to stop it all moving forward.

I ended up having to add an inch of pea gravel ontop after a disaster with the powerhead falling and blowing some of the soil away. It was either add some gravel or remove the fish, drain the tank and add more soil/sand. Easy method picked lol

And a quick vid, algae visable at around 50 secs :(

Hi Chris,
tank looking very well but you answered a question I never asked out loud -why are corys never in planted tanks pictures and videos? Have several scores of these little beauties in different tanks including some wild caught from Columbia imported by a friend (C.'deckeri & C. rabauti)Beautiful fish with bags of personality .Keep the faith :D

Update 08 Jan 2011

I've been away for a few days, and got home this afternoon. Got in looking forward to doing LOTS of pet related stuff lol

Firstly check the main tank.... Lots of floating plants to sort out later but other than that things look pretty good.

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

Then get the new arrivals aclimating :)

DSC02704.jpg

DSC02705.jpg

Next, get on with feeding the monsters.....

Heres the three older of our rabbits,

DSC02706.jpg

DSC02707.jpg

Then two of the babies,

DSC02708.jpg

DSC02709.jpg

then the other of the babies we are selling,

DSC02710.jpg

Lastly here's Treacle the full double lion head, he's about 6 months old and we are intending breeding him at a later date.

DSC02711.jpg

I guess someones been having fun playing in the snow ;)

DSC02712.jpg

Now, where was I????

Oh yea, Fishies!!!!

Oh oh :(

DSC02713.jpg

Purely as its such a newly setup tank (abeit with the filter from a tank I tore down 3 days before setting up the tank) I checked the ammo on my daughters tank.

Now this tank seemed to have cycled but is now showing 1ppm.
No biggie, did a 50% WC and will keep doing them for a few days before doing anything else.

Maybe it is a bad idea having my bristle nose plec in there (temp home) so will move him into my main tank earlier than planned!

DSC02715.jpg

DSC02714.jpg

All done, thats better :)

Now quick check on my newbies

DSC02716.jpg

Level in bucket seems good, time to turn off the feed from the tank and leave them a little longer to get used to the parameters.

Quick pic of my thermal bags I bought for collecting fish from the shop :)

DSC02717.jpg

Next, sort the tank out while I wait.

Tools out,

DSC02718.jpg

Can't believe all this even though the tank was sorted on Tuesday night!!!

Sheesh

DSC02719.jpg

Now a quick feed to distract before adding the newbies,

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

Now, without further adoo....

My new Cobalt Gouramis and my new Honey Gouramis :)

DSC02722.jpg

DSC02723.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

And the obligitory FTS
DSC02725.jpg

Now I'm done for the night on the planted tank, time to work on my new marine one ;)

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc32 ... C02726.jpg

Nicceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Chris

Re: Forrest Bridge. Update 08 01 2011

Took a couple of before shots and planned to do a thorough look around and clean up tonight.

I've lost a Glass catfish and 2 endlers guppies this week (I just can't find them) and my Female Cobalt gourami got badly attacked by the male snd didn't make it.

Water parameters as always are spot on so no worries there :)

New additions are as follows....

7 Wild Green Neons, around 20 juvinile Cherry shrimp (cheers Chilled) and an assasin snail.

The snail was a necessity as through boredom I've been overfeeding and noticed alot of young snails and a bit of staghorn this week!

Anyway, when trimming the plants I started to notice how my substrate is slowly shifting forward on the left hand side and is exposing roots at the back corner. Some of the plants were begining to come loose.
Also I wasn't 100% happy about the position of some plants either so....

Decided to move a little substrate and move some plants.... The after pics will now really have to wait lol

Before...

DSC03187.jpg

Can actually see the growth now comparing to earlier pics!

DSC03165.jpg

My new addition, pulled out a few empty shells already in only 48hrs!

After...

DSC03188.jpg

Eeekkk!

DSC03190.jpg

The guys having fun during the draining! lol

After refilling its not a hell of alot better so will wait till it settles before doing more pics.
Either that or may end up making a mess of it again and moving more substrate tomorrow afternoon!

Cheers, chris

Re: Forrest Bridge. Update 23 Jan. Whoops!

Oops, greenwater is horrible, I ended up buying a UV filter to clear mine!

thats no green water! Thats the sand/earth churned up lol

New lights have arived!!!!! gonna unpack them and have a look then decide if I'm just going to fit them today or not! :)

Its not looking too bad to be honest.

I moved alot more yesterday then did about a 300% waterchange lol

Heres a today pic

DSC03200.jpg

Lights,

DSC03199.jpg

Its come with 10000k bulbs so I've got a basket on lamp specs with osram 840s and 880s ready for pay day. Also checked a load of 24w lamps in the basket for when I order my smaller unit :)

DSC03201.jpg

DSC03204.jpg

Note the lower height of the right hand substrate in this last pic. Also its cloudier again a little as I've been replanting my HC on the left which is now quite loose and a little sandy

Well, the waters cleared up alot :)

I'm absolutely loving the new lights, the substrate move went well and I think its much better.

Rather than a load of pics I've taken a 6 min video which shows the fish enjoying their enviroment.

Not the cory daring to go inside the shrimps cave at about 1.40, thats the furthest into there I've seen anything bar the khulis go in there since the Amanos took it over. It's like the bronx in the caves!!!!

Cheers guys, chris

Re: Forrest Bridge. Update 28 Jan. 6min Vid

i really like the way you've done the right side.with the ledge and lower substrate.i may have to copy that one day :lol: .
what sand is that ?.

the white rock on the left doesn't look right to me though.too distracting,sorry :( .

The black sand is Seachem flourite sand and the rest is Westland aquatic compost from Dobbies garden center.
Its a really sandy soil and was perfect for the natural look.

The rocks all looked BLACK as black could be when I put them in the tank, is weird how things change once water is put in lol

It doesn't actually look as light as that, its more of a grey and doesn't pull the eye to it in reality, I think the camera was being washed out by the T5's!

Maybe be better when my proper bulbs get here from lampspecs, these are the 10000k lamps that came with the unit at the mo!

Thanks, chris

Just a very quick update here as I'm away for two weeks as of tomorrow.

The water has almost completely cleared but a combo of the lighting and my camera skills makes it look alot worse that it is lol

Theres been a noticable increase in growth since the lights went in, a few plants more than others but I'm even begining to see some red leaves appearing here and there!

DSC03275.jpg

I found (for the first time ever) some HC in my local shop and boy did it look healthy :)
I decided to get just one pot and have just cut the wool into chunks to plant as I'm being lazy for a change.
There is still quite alot of HC in the tank it is just dark green and never really grew under the old lights so hopefull the old and the new will tank off over the next few weeks.

DSC03275.jpg

Managed to get 3 pots of one of my faves too which will supliment the lone piece I already had,

Heres my pogostemon helferii...

DSC03277.jpg

DSC03278.jpg

DSC03279.jpg

Again guys, thanks for looking and hope to speak to you all again soon :)

Chris

Re: Forrest Bridge. Update 29 jan, new plants and pics

WOW!!!!!!

Got back last night after nearly 2 weeks away, I was shocked at the growth!

I've only seen the tank with the moonlights on as it was late but WOW!!! lol

Will take pics later :)

Re: Forrest Bridge. Update 29 jan, new plants and pics

Oh crap yea..... ~Ummmmmmm......

I've cropped all the stems right back to nearly nothing to get rid of all the old straggly growth so the left hand side of the tank looks really bare!

Also removed and replanted the right hand side removing the cabomba :)

Tanks looking bare but also will be looking ace for it lol

Will remember to charge the camera tomorrow.... promise!

Back