• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Mini M

Re: Tom's Mini M - Opinions?

Here's a top-down shot of the HC patch that's melting. It's odd that it's only one patch, but you can see there are some new leaves coming through. It's melting pretty quickly though.

IMG_9896.jpg

This is one of the main reasons i dont agree with the dry start method.

IMO, it just seems pointless.

You may aswell, just start from day one, planting and filling with water.

Tom, this is an incredible Nano by the way mate,

Mark Evans said:
This is one of the main reasons i dont agree with the dry start method.

IMO, it just seems pointless.

You may aswell, just start from day one, planting and filling with water.

Tom Barr doesn't seem to have any transition problems at all - I don't know what kind of wizardry he employs! The HC was lovely for a week or so under water and was growing pretty quickly, but recently it does look to be trying new tactics, and losing the older growth in places. At least it's still growing, and there is new growth post-trim. As far as I can see now, the benefit has probably been that it has allowed the HC and tenellus to root nicely before flooding. It's taken that burden from them, which I suppose is better than melting HC with no roots! The tenellus has really kicked in now though and is doing well, but I have lost 100% of the original plant. Lilaeopsis still doesn't know what to make of all that water, and is largely going yellow with diatoms. It may well come out to be replaced by the new tenellus growth and HM when it comes.

Next time I would probably still start the HC emersed for a fortnight or so, but everything else will go in with the water.

Mark Evans said:
Tom, this is an incredible Nano by the way mate,

Thanks a lot, high praise indeed :D I just wish I could do something bigger. If the current business venture takes off I'll likely get a 60P.... :rolleyes: There are several things with this tank I'm not happy about and if I apply the things I've learned through this, my next scape will hopefully be a bit better

Tom

I've just trimmed most of the Rotala stems and replanted the tops. The old emersed growth was just too ugly to put up with, and I thought it would be worth doing. Will probably need to do a water change in a bit too, as I pulled them from the roots and disturbed the Aquasoil at the back. Just need the micranthemoides to be planted tomorrow and that should be the final major adjustment. Hopefully then I can just let it grow.

Tom

Re: Tom's Mini M - HM added, new pics

I'm more worried about being swallowed by those diatoms than plants personally! :p They definitely seem to be receding though. Who needs Otos? (probably me :shh: :lol: ). I'm getting a little bit in the front corners on the sand still, but it's well under control :thumbup:

Re: Tom's Mini M - Diatom improvement, new pics

sweet as a nut.

One thing i'd watch for in final photos, which your probably aware of Tom...

you've fired flash from the front?....the 1 inch of sand which is normally in darkness, looks like a foreground. :thumbup:

Flash was overhead for this. I think the odd-coloured sand might be a reflection from the orangy-wood cabinet it's sitting on. Either that or the fact that I was pressing the shutter, holding the flash and balancing black blanket as well as I could at the same time! Maybe some window-light got through. It has gone an odd colour though!!

Thanks George :D I keep forgetting it's not even three weeks old yet post-fill-up, so it's not doing too badly. Should get going a bit now. The stems will be the challenge now, getting them all nice and dense.
Yeah, I'll be entering. Haven't put anything into competition for a couple of years now, the last one was maybe 2008. I know the smaller tanks don't seem to rate very well, but I only have 786th place to beat or something like that, so with a bit of luck....!!

I've just added 2 Otos and 4 Amano shrimp. None of them look very good though, The Otos are near enough white, and the shrimp have vanished. Hopefully they will be OK in the morning :(

On a happier note, I have replaced the rubber cap from the Eheim's impellar shaft, and it is much quieter.

Re: Tom's Mini M - Otos and Shrimp

great pics Tom!

I'm sure the Oto's will be fine, they always go like this IME. Great little workers when they get going.

Great pics on the website as well!

Coming along very nicely now Tom,i really like the layout now that the plants are growing in and i can see an improvement in the diatoms,

john.

Thanks John. Just looking, there is a significant improvement on the diatoms on the rocks again today which I am very happy about. Hopefully the Otos will settle in well and finish it off. The 'stringy' type of diatoms are the more prominent now, particularly on the larger patch of HC on the left. That makes sense as parts of it are still melting and re-growing. The shrimp are on the pathway at the moment cleaning bits from between the rocks.

Tom

Couple of quick shots from just now. Please click for larger images in Flickr.

Diatom improvement
5522385230_ed9a851957_z.jpg

Oto - pretty skinny, I hope they eat something! Might give them a wafer to try just to perk them up
5522384786_d87814153e_z.jpg

Amano Shrimp - happily cleaning the path.
5522384418_cc6f8e9fe8_z.jpg

Tom

Back