• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

co2 regulators

3madstaffs

Seedling
hi all new to this site so a big hello to everyone, i have a aqua one 620t tank that ive decided to try co2 on as plants weren't doing so good without. i used to have a juwel rio 400 that i had a pressurized co2 kit on and had good results but that was a few years ago and when i got rid of tank i sold all my gear aswell, so starting back up again. i have got a large pub co2 bottle for nowt , bought a tmc bubble counter and glass diffuser. now heres where id like to hear peoples views , cos i work in an engineering workshop i have aquired a co2/argon regulator and flow meter and this is mated to an m&m international solenoid, now have had system running for a few weeks and it works perfectly , the flow valve in my opinion works better that a needle valve i can acheive any rate i want and it doesn't seem to float , but when ive looked around forums nobody seems to recommend these regs/set up WHY ? ( yes i had same set up last time aswell ) as far as i know co2/argon regs can be used for either argon , co2, argon/co2 mix and are cheap to buy, i know there only single stage regs but thats not a problem if you dont let bottle get too low. so id just like some opinions on the matter cheers

Hey there and welcome,
I'm clueless about the tech aspects of your post! However you might find you burn though a whole lotta co2 if you're using the filter system on the 620t as it'll off-gas like crazy - you'll probably also need additional pumps in the tank to distribute the gas properly, esp. as the tank is quite a tall one. If you get it right it'll look amazing though!
hope this helps
Matt

hi basically why arent folk using standard welding regs. As for the filter yes i am using the standard filter but dont seem to be having any problems at mo, diffuser is set underneath output and ive angled output flow at glass side so it causes a downward swirling effect , im only using 1 bps at moment and i'm acheiving green drop checker ( 4kdh mix ) and my plants seem to be picking up, but i'm looking at maybe getting a cheap power head to spread flow around bottom more.

Hi Madstaffs, Co2 regs are something I go on about on here quite bit, and for good reason. Words like cheap and single stage are ok if the bottle doesnt go low are Ok simply are not OK. A proper CO2 reg medical grade two stage by BOC is £189 trade!! :( , I know because I have two. Like you I am in the engineering trade and the company I own has 3 tig and 2 Mig plants all with single stage regs, none of which I would want controlling the co2 supply to my beloved fish tanks. This for several reasons, they are single stage, search my previous posts for why, the quality of them, they are built for purpose, simply to reduce the output pressure from several options of gas so are not specific and none of mine all bought new came with calibration certificates, often fairly nameless on the regs despite the box having a name on it :rolleyes: I gather the flow valve you are talking about is the vertical bubble glass type attatched to the reg like ours. These are as you say flow valves, not precision ground taper needle valves. They can only control what they are given, by a single stage reg which as we all know are not accurate and stable as the main delivery pressure drops. I dont deny, that yours and many other peoples equipment does a job, but as I always finish with on reg issues, buy the best you can because a CO2 dump and a livestock wipeout is not good for your happiness and the poor livestock. Sorry in advance for going on but CHEAP CO2 regs really get me going :mad: Kind regards Colin.

Many of us are using standard welding regs. I used to use the 'disposable' reg from WeldUK. I only use a super dopper special aquarium one now because I sold off the welding setup a year or 2 ago and I got this one complete with solenoid and needle3 valve for the same price as a welding reg would've cost me :)

Doesn't look any different to me. Still a standard single gauge reg :)

Like lights the magic letters 'A Q U A R I U M' means it must be a different item and gives people re-assurance. lol

AC

AC

cheers for inputs as money is tight at mo affraid welding reg will have to do for now, if i have good results i may upgrade at some point to a multi stage reg, been searching net and a company called c s milne do one link-http://shop.cs-milne.co.uk/epages/BT2746.sf/?Locale=en_GB&ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2746/Products/851860&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal. comes with a male fitting but may email them to see if this could be changed to a female, or if not i could have the end machined at work ( like have done with mine ) and just use a female nut. it seems a good price for a multi stage reg . most the other makes seem to be from america.

I've never had a co2 dump, I've foolishly dumped by upping the injection rate but never had an actual dump that I've noticed at least and certainly not one that's killed fish.
I'd like to move to a more stable reg but cost is prohibitive, nearly twice the cost in most instances.

Back