• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reaction to the Fire Extinguisher Thread

Interesting. :shifty:

I wonder what the problem seems to be?...ooo, if the tape came off, what would happen?...mmm, let me think...It'd stop! That's it!

I've just passed my course on flammable gasses, as i use oxy/ acetylene daily. I mentioned what we do with FE's to the examiner, and he said there's nothing wrong with it. As long as there's a reg fitted, securely, there's no problem at all.

don't see the problem, fire extinguishers are basically a co2 tank like any other, just with a valve on top controlled by the handle. they have safety devices built in so if any pressure builds up the burst disc will rupture letting the pressure out safely and controlled. Ironically the uk pi rating for cylinders is a higher standard that dot used in the states.

I used to be a regular poster on that forum but I just cant get on with those chaps!
I posted an EBay link without realising that was an issue & got the most rude PM from a mod telling me I should know better than to go breaking the rules in not so pleasant terms, so I left.
Still that thread does not look good for our forum the way it is going - if we care?

I have also been on a gas safety workshop and don't see the problem. The only thing that worried me is that the age of the regulators people use tend to be older. At my work we have to chuck them every five years- even if they have been unused. And this is a problem not specific for FEs. I wasn't brave enough to ask the instructor what he thought of my set up! I actually asked to go on the workshop specifically because of my hobby!

I don't know what I'll do with my reg when it gets to five years old. I'll probably replace it if I've got the money. I'm glad I didn't get a second hand one in the end.

I think UK is sometimes obsessed with Health and Safety regulations preventing you from using or doing things which have been considered normal in the past. To 5 year lifespan regulator, it reminds me Industrial lifespan for most of the things produced only for the sake of business turnover and innovation. (Industrial disk storage, Servers etc have lifespan 5-6 years, while consumer Chinese tat 1 to 3 years). You can apply this logic to every product produced today and this behavior started around 1930 when consumerism was born. (google document century of the self).

Little off original thread subject but people deserve to know so they are not fleeced by corporate machine.

Back