• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio 180 - Flow, Circulation and advice

ShaunWhite

Hi All

I'm not really happy with the flow or circulation on my tank at the moment and i'm looking to make some changes but am unsure of which direction to take.

I've got a 180L tank (Rio), with an Eheim Ecco 300 (750lph) and a hydor nano 1600 for extra circulation.

My filter now runs through both an external hydor heater and AM1000 CO2 reactor (which i am very pleased with, much better than the UP inline diffuser in my opinion).
I'm not happy that i've got sufficient flow or particularly good distribution, so i'd like to add a spray bar the entire length of the tank and feed the CO2 through that as per CEG4048's advice and tank.

As i see it, i've got two choices: -
1. Replace ECCO 300 with larger filter (must still fit in Rio 180 cabinet)
2. Add an external pump such as an eheim compact + to run the CO2 and spraybar, leaving the ECCO 300 to handle filtration.

I'm leaning towards a JBL CristalProfi 1500 filter as a replacement which claims 1500 lph but will obviously be much less through the AM1000 reactor etc.

There must be a few on here with similar tanks and i'm wondering what others do?

Shaun

i was running the same setup and tank as you but no in line heater. i kept the ecco 300 and added a 2076 pro3e (1750lh) and used the aftermarket ehiem spray bars so they go the length of the tank. flow seams to be spot on now.

03082011436.jpg

yep use a up aqua inline diffuser into the longest bar, as the ecco 300 only has a 10cm spraybar, no floss and 1 media tray empty so it acts more like a power head and has enough power to pull in some co2 from the long bar and circulate it.

although when i get a new tank i will use the ecco on that and extend the 2076 bar and use a powerhead. but for now this was the cheapest solution as i all ready had it.

Back