• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this insect?

Excellent! Then you have fish food live and ready for consumption :)
It is a form of ephemeroptera. Mayfly are the largest of these and this little felloe is what flyfisherman know as an 'Olive'
There's about 27 different upwinged insects of this genus. All are edible to a fish, I'm pleased to say :)

Hi all,
Looks like it is a "Pond Olive", Cloeon dipteron, they are very unusual for a may fly because you often get the larvae in water butts etc. The larvae are "Swimming may fly" nymphs, the fish love them, but they swim extremely quickly and it is quite funny to watch the fish chasing them. I usually get the odd one survive to hatch as an adult, even in the tanks with Apistogramma etc.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloeon_dipterum>

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I think the adults are attracted to light, because I often get Mayflies in the moth trap. You may be able to see the nymphs in the tank, they will perch on the vegetation, and you can see their gills (on the back) beating. If you disturb they swim incredibly quickly, with an up and down wriggling action, a bit like the "Man from Atlantis" for older readers, or butterfly stroke without the arms for swimmers.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I think the adults are attracted to light, because I often get Mayflies in the moth trap. You may be able to see the nymphs in the tank, they will perch on the vegetation, and you can see their gills (on the back) beating. If you disturb them, they swim incredibly quickly, with an up and down wriggling action, a bit like the "Man from Atlantis" for older readers, or "butterfly stroke" without the arms for swimmers.

cheers Darrel

Just be wary of waterbutt creatures, I have had to remove dragonfly larvae which Do attack fish and anything they can as the voracious little predators they are.
These fascinating creatures certainly don't belong in your average fishtank but are good fun in a species only tank I might add.

Going to add one of the ember tetras from my main tank tomorrow. These mayfly babies are getting alarmingly large. There's also a horde of other tiny organisms swimming around in there. Hope the fish don't get too fat!

Back