• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60x40x40: lighting?

GillesF

Hi guys

I have a 60x40x40cm tank, heavily planted, EI and pressurized CO2 with DC. I was using one 24w (I think) T5 with reflector (not sure about the quality of it, non-branded) but my Hemianthius Callitrichoides didn't want to grow at all and became leggy. My DC used to be lime green and I could see tiny CO2 bubbles reach the leaves of the HC.

Is one T5 insufficient for my tank and should I slowly go for two? My luminaire has room for 3 T5 bulbs. The luminaire is positioned about 5cm above the tank and there's also a clear plastic cover to keep the humidity in. I do not own a PAR meter so I have no idea about PAR levels at substrate level.

Best regards,
Gilles

The tank is now without plants due to CO2 problems (broke my old system, new one arrived but I didn't have the right equipment etc ...). Should I start immediately with 2x24w and CO2 or will this cause algae problems?

I usually run high lit aquariums but for the first weeks I tend to keep the photo-period up to 5h/day and increase it slowly the following weeks. Try to match the CO2, flow and EI dosing accordingly. Keep us updated if there are any issues and remember to plant it heavily.

Mike

Thanks, will try that. Flow is even throughout the entire tank since I'm using a spraybar. CO2 bubbles can be seen at substrate level at the front (not at the back though due to heavier planting & stem plants). EI = 30-40ppm NO3, 3-4ppm PO4, 15ml Profito and 2ppm Fe dosed in 3 parts/week. I'll start rebuilding my co2 system soon and this time without leaks :lol:

Wouldn't it be better to start with 6 hours of 1 T5 and then each week add one hour of extra T5? Then after a month I can start adding more hours. I really want to avoid algae ...

GillesF said:
Wouldn't it be better to start with 6 hours of 1 T5 and then each week add one hour of extra T5? Then after a month I can start adding more hours. I really want to avoid algae ...

No one?
I'm just wondering if this sudden change in lighting (I have 1 T5 atm for 6h) might cause an algae explosion. I know algae can easily adapt to sudden changes, easier than "normal" plants. Maybe I should buy some very easy plants for the 2xT5 lighting, get my CO2 and EI up and running as it should and only then add the plants for my scape? I'm a bit confused :D

If the plants are already adapted to the tank and you match the CO2/nutrients to the light and plant mass probably you won't have any issues. If you've just put the plants in your tank is better to play safe for a while until they adapt and loose the old leaves. That means you can use 1 T5, then boost the lighting at midday for a couple of hours using both tubes, then use both for the entire period. Regarding the planting I usually prefer cheap, easy, fast growing plants for start up. When all is alright I start replacing them little by little. When I'll be a plant guru :lol: probably I won't need to do this anymore.

Mike

Did you go for the 2x24w? I have a tank of the exact same dimensions and am current trying to decide what lighting to go for!

Cheers
Tom

Back