• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

putting two eheim in the same outlet

Rabb.D

hello,

is it okay to circulate 2 eheim 2217 together, does it spoil the motor and does the combined output double... sorry i find this confusing.

Edit: i'm wondering because i'm considering between cleaning two filter at a cheaper price or just getting one big one at a slightly higher price with easier maintenance and a bigger toy to look at

I dont quite understand your question but if you mean - can you run the two filters in line, one after the other, fed from a single suction point & returned by a single pipe then no, this would not be a good system.
It would be possible to use two separate suction & a large diameter return but this would still not be as efficient as running two separate filters or one large one.

yes that's exactly what i meant... i'll go with your advice... i've read here and there the same thing, that two filter inline is a bad thing..

i think i'll just go with one big one, a little more fun, and also doing maintenance would be much easier than cleaning two together, just more hassle... thanks

Two filters can have there advantages of one single filter. with two filters you can stagger maintenance, cleaning one one week and the other the second week. this means you always have a supply of good bacteria and if you make a mistake in cleaning you will always have a back up. the same goes for if you have a filter malfunction. As for the outlet, It should not be a problem to combine your outlets as long as the final cross sectional area is equal or greater than the cross sectional area of the two filter pipes. to smoother the flow from two to one the less frictional losses you will incur also

morefirejules08 said:
Two filters can have there advantages of one single filter. with two filters you can stagger maintenance, cleaning one one week and the other the second week. this means you always have a supply of good bacteria and if you make a mistake in cleaning you will always have a back up. the same goes for if you have a filter malfunction. As for the outlet, It should not be a problem to combine your outlets as long as the final cross sectional area is equal or greater than the cross sectional area of the two filter pipes. to smoother the flow from two to one the less frictional losses you will incur also

hello, thanks for the reply

thats really good advice, so when you say cross sectional area, you mean the diameter of the pipe at the latter end of the two fitlers should at least be the same or bigger in diameter to reduce frictional losses meaning, spoiling the motor of the one in the back?

does this also apply if i use a Y hose connector? because the inlet and outlet pipe of the 2217 is not the same size.

Edit: and what if i use Y hose connectors and both end of both filters? i have problem envisioning this from a scientific standpoint, my brain doesn't allow it lol

erm, not sure if we have wires crossed or not, im not talking about linking one filters outlet into anothers inlet but rather combining the outlets of both filters at the tank end.

ok so you mean using a Y hose connector, and the hose at the end of the y hose connector going to the lily pipe outlet must be the same diameter or larger?? than each of the hoses? or the combined cross sectional area of both filters outlet?

Edit: wait... the final cross sectional area must be the same or larger than both filter outlet combined, or just one?

ghostsword said:
Why not daisy chain them?

that was my initial question... but people are of the opinion that its a bad thing it spoils the motor... now i'm wondering whether daisy chaining the filter will double the output, or it will be just the same.

actually i was looking to double the output rather than volume

Imagine driving a car capable of 155 mph towing another car driving at 155 mph. The max speed will still be 155 mph but you get more space for more people. Same theory applies to daisy chaining filters. Better to run them separately - major benefit to adjust flow around the tank.

Back