• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Attempting my first Dutch style scape

craigthor

After alot of changes in hte last few months I am spending some time trying to learn how to setup my first dutch style scape. I'm sure there are severl things I do that wouldn't be allowed of methods over the top but we all start somewhere.

Here are some specs.

Hardware:

150g tank 180cm*45cm*74cm or 72"*18"*28* for us stateside folks.
2- Eheim 2262 cannister filters plumber through the bottom of the tank
2- 36 watt UV filters
2- 200 watt inline heaters
2- Carbondoser EXT5000 CO2 reactors
Custom Stainless Steel CO2 setup with dual needle valves
4- Koralia 1 Powerheads
3- 150 watt MH units with ADA 8000k 'Green' Bulbs
3- Coralife dual freshwater T5NO bulbs for early AM and late PM viewing
6- Coralife Lunar White Moon Lights

Substrate:

Ada AquaSoil New Multi Type ~9- 9L bags

Flora:

1. Hemianthus Callicitroides
  2. Hygro 'Tiger'
  3. Najas Roraima
  4. Red Rubin Sword
  5. Erio Type III
  6. Ludwigia Pantanal
  7. Bacopa Carolina
  8. Erio Type II
  9. Bacopa Japan
  10. Staurygone Purple
  11. Nesesea Crasicaulis
  12. Blyxa Japonica
  13. Limnophilia Wavy
  14. Star Grass
  15. Taiwan Moss
  16. Staurygone Bihar
  17. Elatine Triandra
  18. Dilipidis Diandra

Fauna:

30 Irian Red Rainbows
75 Cardinal Tetras
10 Farlowella Acus

I have a bunch of tetras to move out yet but the rest of my Red Rainbows won't arrive till January when our local club gets in our order of fish so I have some time yet, Also need to order a few more F. Acus to add to teh group.

As for my plants I'm still working on sourcing enough Taiwan Moss to do my full moss wall in my tank. It will wrap the 2 sides and the back wall. Conisdering removing the HC for more E. Triandra as soon as I can source more and removing the Erio Type III. With those 2 removed I can add in Hygro. Difformis and Hygro Corymbosa once they are sourced. Really trying hard to hold it to the 18 species of plants.

Here are some pictures of where the tank sits today. I hacked and chopped alot of plants into pieces to create the groupings so it will take a couple of weeks before the tank starts to show and positive growth. I'm open to all opinions, critiques good and bad as I start to learn my way around. I do know the lights are visible which is a big no no but I want to have a custom stand and side cabinets built but I need to come up with some serious money first to accomplish it. Like I said this in only the beginning.

P1010147-1.jpg

P1010145-1.jpg

P1010144-1.jpg

P1010143-1.jpg

P1010142-1.jpg

P1010141-1.jpg

P1010140-1.jpg

P1010139-1.jpg

P1010136-1.jpg

P1010133-1.jpg

Sorry for the insanely long first post. :)

Craig

Hi Craig and welcome to UKAPS.

That's a serious set-up you have! Dutch aquascaping is a great challenge and I look forward to following your journey.

What ferts are you dosing?

You're the first person I've ever heard of wanting to hide their ADA lighting!!

Would you like me to move this thread to the Journal section?

Cheers,
George

Nice tank and a great selection of plants.
Don't forget that a dutch is about colors and I don't think you'll ever achieve that with ADA's green bulbs, you'll end in having a green wall. :)

George Farmer said:
Hi Craig and welcome to UKAPS.

That's a serious set-up you have! Dutch aquascaping is a great challenge and I look forward to following your journey.

What ferts are you dosing?

You're the first person I've ever heard of wanting to hide their ADA lighting!!

Would you like me to move this thread to the Journal section?

Cheers,
George

Thanks for the welcome, I'm currently dry dosing EI pretty heavily. The lighting itself isn't ADA jsut the bulbs, for lights I use 3 Coralife Aqualight Pro clamp on lights.

If you could move it to the journal section would be great.

Craig

clonitza said:
Nice tank and a great selection of plants.
Don't forget that a dutch is about colors and I don't think you'll ever achieve that with ADA's green bulbs, you'll end in having a green wall. :)

I'll worry about the color blending later. I've currently got Purples, pinks and a touch of magenta popping out. Once my Red Rubin transfers over to submersed form it should bring in some nice reds as well.

Craig

Well I will be swapping out a few plants, not completely sure which ones yet but may end up with 19 species once I'm done.

Here are what I have coming:

Hygrophilia Difformis
Hygrophilia Corymbosa
Lysimachia nummularia (Creeping Jenny)
Alternanthera reineckii v. 'roseafolia'
Nymphaea stellata

The following in bold will be removed or are already out:

Hemianthus Callicitroides
Hygrophilia 'Tiger'
Najas Roraima
Red Rubin Sword
Erio Type III
Ludwigia Pantanal
Bacopa Carolina
Erio Type II
Bacopa Japan
Staurygone Purple
Nesesea Crasicaulis
Blyxa Japonica
Limnophilia Wavy
Star Grass
Taiwan Moss
Staurygone Bihar
Elatine Triandra
Dilipidis Diandra

I am making these changes as I ahve alot of Needle leaf like plants and need to shake it up a bit. This should give me a good mix of leaf shapes and textures as well.

Good luck with the tank. Big tank with a bunch of stems will be a challenge!

Did a few plant changes now to wait for a few to change forms and for them to grow out. Still waiting on a couple of large E. Aguatifolious 'Vesuvious' mother plants for the front left corner.

P1010152.jpg

P1010153.jpg

P1010154-1.jpg

P1010155-1.jpg

P1010156-1.jpg

P1010157-1.jpg

P1010158.jpg

P1010159-1.jpg

P1010160-1.jpg

P1010161-1.jpg

P1010162-1.jpg

Craig

Just a few pictures... Really need to find another handful or 3 of the Hottonia Palustris. I also have Bacop Salzimanii coming in this week along with some Bacopa Colorata. I'll be adding some Lobelia Cardinalis regular into the mix as well, I have the dwarf version but I really need a bit of height so I am going to add some of the bigger stuff with it.

P1010196.jpg

P1010197.jpg

P1010198.jpg

P1010199.jpg

P1010200.jpg

P1010201-1.jpg

Craig

Looking nice, excited for more pics!

THIS DUTCH STYLE REMINDS ME VERY MUCH OF PIET OULDOLF AND HIS TAPESTRY OF GARDEN DESIGN. USING BLOCKS OF COLOUR AND TEXTURES TO CREATE INTEREST. IT IS NOT EASY WITH GARDEN PLANTS (PRAIRIE PLANTING) AND NO EASIER WITHIN THE AQUARIUM.

darren636 said:
THIS DUTCH STYLE REMINDS ME VERY MUCH OF PIET OULDOLF AND HIS TAPESTRY OF GARDEN DESIGN. USING BLOCKS OF COLOUR AND TEXTURES TO CREATE INTEREST. IT IS NOT EASY WITH GARDEN PLANTS (PRAIRIE PLANTING) AND NO EASIER WITHIN THE AQUARIUM.

Definitely true, I've moved some plants many times trying to find that perfect spot for them... :twisted:

spyder said:
What is all the "stuff" on the back and side walls?

Yep it is a monster moss wall 9 linear feet of taiwan moss waiting to grow out. :D

Back