• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shallow - The Future?

Morgan Freeman said:
LondonDragon said:

And such a bargain!

hehe, was that sarcasm? Shipping tanks from Japan will always hike the price up, +1 on looking at a custom made jobby. You won't get the pretty sticker but optiwhite glass is the same over here as it is all over the world (atleast I think so :rolleyes: )

One big advantage to these shallow tanks is that the glass thickness is reduced by a fair amount so I think you might be pleasently surprised with quotes.

A little. I don't deny the quality of ADA tanks, but that's a hefty price tag!

I do like shallow scapes though, 4 x 1 x 2 is a size I'd like to work with.

I think shallow scales look great and would be perfect in an office like mine ADA? Hmm I'm thinking

I had my 60x40x25H optiwhite made by Coral Aquarium Cabinets for around £100. The silicone work isn't as high a standard as ADA but for £100 it's good value IMO.

For me the combination of shallow height and wide front to rear depth is the main attraction. As an aquascaper I consider decent front to rear depth as essential. It also provides for a larger surface area and overall volume, thus improving oxygen exchange and environmental stability (although evaporation rates will be higher).

I've seen a couple of ADA-F tanks in the flesh and they are lovely, but the 30cm front to rear depth (all the way up to 120cm length) is disappointingly low.

These days I would personally be very reluctant to buy any aquarium over 45cm in length with <=30cm front to rear depth.

skeletonw00t said:
Is it possible you could have the tank taller at the back & sloping down to the front so you have a shallow front and deep back?

How would this favor in holding water though?:)

The water would slope downward,
those pesky neutrinos what are they up to now :D
don't think it will work mate some thing to do with gravity. if you where it seal it like a fluval edge that might work? who fancy s a diy sloped tank, be a pain to plant bit a nice talking peace.

Well they both look good, I will be watching what you do on the profile 1000 - love those fish.

Yes I know what you mean about time...my Mrs just raises her eyebrows at me now when its aquarium maintenance time!

George Farmer said:
This is my shallow tank. Click the link below the image for more info.

Best set-up I've ever owned.

6537883485_6bf1814ccd_z.jpg
60cm shallow optiwhite - Day 8 by George Farmer, on Flickr

My newer tanks have all been the nice ADA like stand and wide shallow tanks.
I find working on them more pleasurable.

I still have the 180 Gal, but due to the size and thick glass at 20mm, it's a bear to move. But that will be upgraded evetually.

I'll replace the lights next and then once we move.......I'll sell the tank and get the new opti white custom made tank and nicer edge work and silicone.

Then I just buy the new stand and tank only, I'll have everything else.

I'll likely keep the same height on this tank however, the other 4 tanks are still 45cm tall only.
But I'll change the depth to 75cm from 60cm on the tank. No way getting out of the 20mm glass, so I might as well take up up some depth.

I generally view the tanks most when sitting down, so the stands reflect this and are 60cm tall and then this places me at eye level in the middle on the tank, and when standing, I have a nice bird's eye view above, making access to gardening perfect even with the depth front to back.

Back