• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can i cut Vallis?

eco

Seedling
My vallis is spreading alittle to much now, and creeping along the surface im worried if i let it grow much more it will start to block light to the other plants,

Any advice on prunning vallis?

If i cut a leaf in half will it die off? or am i better off cutting it down and letting it come back from the base?

I havn`t grown it for a while but I remember I just used to cut mine back wherever! It used to grow 4/5" a week. I melted it in the end over dosing Excel. :(

not needed for vallis. just take some scissors and trim them down I do mine once a month or so in my low tech tank it still grows like a nutter.

for the off shoots that spread around the tank just cut through the tendril running from the parent plant to the shoot then you can replant the shoot for a brand new parent plant

I just trim mine back at a 45 degree angle which looks a bit more natural, definitely use sharp scissors though it seems to damage the leave less and stop it dissolving from the cut down. While we have some Vallis people about is there any reason why mine seems to want to grow above the substrate? Mine always seems to have the roots showing at the bottom.

It should be ok to cut it 1cm from the base and let it regrow fresh leaves?

Hi
I think that's a tad severe...and wouldn't look that pleasing to the eye.

If you strip back some of the leaves you may have already new growth there.
Have a go at stripping back one plant and see how it looks.
hoggie

I cut down one plant, next week ill do another and so on.... It grows so well in my tank it covering the surface.

just keep the runners trimmed if you don't want it to spread with vallis if you cut the leafs down its not so much new leafs (though you will get some) but the old cut ones will just rapidly grow back up to full height I seem to get about an inch of growth a week in a completely low tech tank no ferts no co2 nothing

I have the gigantea vallis and find that if I trim the older leaves at a 45 degree angle with sharp scissors they stop growing and I end up removing them at the crown. If the leaf is newer (slightly lighter in colour) they tend to carry on growing after the cut.

I get really good growth in a completely low tech tank with no ferts or CO2 and I am forever removing new plantlets.

Andy

I can confirm the plant i cut down almost flush, already had 2-3cms of new growth coming,so no harm done and they will grow ne leaves from the crown.

Cut vallis will indeed grow back, but not to full height. It look horrid anyway.

If your trying to 'halt' its spread you need to cut much sooner, when runners are developing. Nip the end of the runner and it'll stay put.

That said, when it takes hold, it's a real brute to maintain and keep tidy no matter what you do.

Back