• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Garden centre ferts.

hixy

Hello would these do for dry ferts.Are they the same chemicals.

2011-12-27123209.jpg

2011-12-27123129.jpg

foxfish said:
Hi hixy, I was just wondering why you would want to use those product rather than ferts from a known & reparable source?

Hello Foxfish,If they are the same chemicals they are very cheap and 5 mins from my house so i have no need to order of the net

cheers mick

Im not sure if it is one of the ferts in my pictures.But i remember one being sulphate of potash which i no is potassium sulphate.im just not sure about these to pics though

What u need it potassium sulphate, potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, magnesium sulphate. Unless u can google the names in your pics to see if it's just different names to what we use I wouldn't risk it

Hi hixy,
You need to stay clear of these particular products if you don't know what you're doing. Ammonia is deadly, and both of the products you show in the photos are ammonia based products. If you have fish in your tank then you need to be very careful.

This is not to say that you cannot use the garden center products. Most are the same but you have to understand what it is that you are buying. Most of the Nitrogen products sold in garden centers derive their Nitrogen from Urea or Ammonia compounds because Ammonia is very high in Nitrogen and is therefore much cheaper on a "per Kilogram of Nitrogen" basis than KNO3 for example. Farmers don't have to worry about killing fish on their farms (although the runoff due to rain and groundwater does a lot of damage) so it's not an issue for them but it's an issue for us.

You'd do well to buy nutrients from our sponsors or, as mentioned, to search for the specific products at the garden center such as Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate and Chelated Trace Element Mix

Cheers,

Hi just on the osmocote note, do you simply spread it light over your "base" substrate and it acts as a nutrient or what? until now I wasnt quite sure what it was..and is it only available by one company or is it an overall name for an ingredient or product? kind of afraid of adding ferts incase I end up poisoning everything

Hi Christor

Christor said:
Hi just on the osmocote note, do you simply spread it light over your "base" substrate and it acts as a nutrient or what?

We normally spread it around the bottom of the tank before the substrate goes in, and it acts as a slow release nutrient.
If you have an established tank you can freeze it with some water in the form of ice cubes and push them into the substrate. I do this about once every 6-9 months on my low tech tank.
You've got to be quick though, as the ice melts almost immediately it hits the water :rolleyes:

Back