• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do people prune stem plants?

Wally

I've just spent 2 hours pruning and replanting my bacopa carolina and could not believe the amount of roots/runners that had spread through out the tank.How do people on here do it?do you just cut the stem off at substrate level or pull all the roots/runners out?They were under bog wood,through the roots of other plants,some were over 2' long.I spent an hour just removing the little roots that that were sticking out of the substrate.

I just cut the stems off as low to the ground as possible and replant in amongst the old roots. I figure they will break down pretty quick and release their nutrients back to the substrate. This also stops the mess from uprooting anything..

To keep the stems at the length you want them, or to shape an area of stems you can just cut in between leaf nodes at any height you want. You've then got a new stem to re-plant, this is the most cost effective way to grow an 'area' or 'bush' of stem plants. Obviously takes time though as you have to wait for them to grow.

This is what I did in a previous tank with H.Zosterfolia and Rotala sp. which was a complete weed once settled. :lol:

Cheers
Dan

i cut between leaf nodes, replant the top cutting then the cut stem will sprout 1 or 2 new stems. Once these are at a good length remove the whole stem and keep the newly grown pieces and dispose sensibly of the old trimmed stem. I also find cutting all at once helps, if you just trim one here and there then they seem to get tatty quickly... dont know why.

Back