• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is flow necessary for plant growth?

master3z

Just wondering if flow of water in the aquarium is necessary for plant growth. ??

very much so. a high tec tank needs at least 10x the volume per hour. low tecs a bit more forgiving

Its not necessary I'm sure.. But lack of it causes algae problems, nutrient movement around the tank would be a minimum.. why do you ask anyway?
Doing a still water tank? Sorry for being nosey! :lol:

Kris

Its not FLOW per se that is required for plant growth, its GOOD DISTRIBUTION of CO2 (in a hi tech aquarium). Achieving that good distribution is best done with hi flow. At the end of the day though, its just a case of making sure the CO2 is continually reaching the plants :thumbup:

Good flow is a must in a co2 injected tank. In fact the more flow the better, you can't really have too much flow. Good flow is needed to get all the nutrients around the tank and also to prevent any debris settling on your plants which can then cause algae. Good biological filtration is also good to have, as it breaks down any organic waste.

master3z said:
Just wondering if flow of water in the aquarium is necessary for plant growth. ??
Hello,
Flow is a means to an end. Plants suffer a tremendous limitation trying to grow underwater. Using high flow mitigates these severe handicaps. The basic principles are discussed in viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2965

A more long winded discussion can be found in viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1167

Cheers,

Sorry Clive, not read through those threads, just passing by.

From what I've learnt along the way, I think along the lines of, the plants haven't got the legs to run to co2 and nutrients so the flow is required to circulate those elements to the plants.

High light, Co2 enriched or "high tech/energy" tanks require more flow as the demands are greater where as in a lower light, non co2 enriched tank, the demands are a lot lower so you can get away with less flow. A perfect example of this is the ultra low tech shrimp bowls with zero flow/filteration.

the reason i asked this question is because i have asked another question before about my plants losing their lower leaves
And some people told me that its because of lack of co2 at the bottom of the tank.
Its a low tech,60cm high tank
I had no flow in the tank

Well then it would have been better to ask this question in that thread. We have no idea otherwise that these topics are related. Since that is a non injected tank then it's probable that you have too much light for a non-CO2 tank. Lots of light requires lots of CO2. If you are not adding CO2 or Liquid Carbon then you should keep the lighting intensity low.

Cheers,

And some people told me that its because of lack of co2 at the bottom of the tank.
Its a low tech,60cm high tank
I had no flow in the tank

Can I just ask why have you got no flow in that tank Master3z ?

Kris

Back