• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TV Presenter Aquarium Makeover

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Last summer I got in touch with Jonny Smith, car journalist and TV presenter, probably best known from Fifth Gear.

Jonny's been a keen fishkeeper since he was a child, but he admitted his tank had seen better days, and accepted the offer of a makeover.

The tank is viewable from three sides so I considered this into the layout.

This is the result - before and after. The full feature was covered in PFK last year.

Before - frontal
BeforeFrontal.jpg

Before - rear
BeforeReverse.jpg

After - frontal
AfterFrontal.jpg

After - rear
AfterReverse.jpg

The tank has been running for almost 6 months and it's still looking great, although I think Jonny is keen to try out some new plants now. I have recommended crypts to replace the Hygrophila pinnatifida.

The aquascape design is deliberately low maintenance with Jonny spending a lot of time away from home. The floating plants provide a lot of shade that limit growth nicely and help prevent any algae.

Tank specs -

Tank - 120 x 45 x45cm optiwhite from Aquarium Cabinet Solutions
Lighting - Arcadia OT2 luminaire with Hagen Life-Glo and Arcadia Plant Pro 54w T5, split photoperiod, 2 x 5hr
Filtration - Fluval G6, Aquasys lily pipes, Hydor ETH300 inline heater
CO2 - TMC pressurised system with solenoid, Boyu inline diffuser, 5Kg CO2 fire extinguisher, Aquasys bubble counter and drop checker
Substrate - Unipac Maui Sand
Ferts - 10ml per day TPN+
Water - Hard tap water, 50% water change per week
Decor - Unipac XL Sumatra Wood and pebbles
Plants - Mature Java ferns, Bolbitis, Anubias barteri, Hygrophila pinnatifida, floating Amazon frogbit. All Tropica, supplied from one of my old tanks
Fish - Various community fish

Looks GREAT ! Now I am gonna have to think about putting frogbit in my tank too as I REALLY like the look of it there.

Stunning tank George :) What large rocks/pebbles did you use?

Be interesting to see how Jonny managed to maintain the crispness of his gleaming new tank....... and kitchen!

Aqua sobriquet said:
Nice job George! But be honest, who cleaned up the kitchen for the "after" shots :lol:
:lol: Yep, it was me!

Ady34 said:
Be interesting to see how Jonny managed to maintain the crispness of his gleaming new tank....... and kitchen!
I've visited this aquarium at least 6 times over the last 9 months since it was set up and except some minor algae on the Anubias the tank always looks pristine and very well maintained.

George Farmer said:
Aqua sobriquet said:
Nice job George! But be honest, who cleaned up the kitchen for the "after" shots :lol:
:lol: Yep, it was me!

you could have a second career , i love the smell of mr muscle ! my kitchen is a mess. :crazy:

hey george, have you ever considered doing a ukaps member aquarium makeover? :D ;)

Back