• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why so much light?

Jaap

Hello everyone,

I was wondering why the tanks in the aquascaping contests have such high light. For example the tank below:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/show181.html

It is 21L and has 60W of light!!!!

I would grow algae light mad with that light :)

Do they up the light gradualy or start with such high light from the begining?

What is the need for so much light? Fast growth or healthy plants?

Thanks

Even if he was running full CO2 and full EI why that high light? For what purpose?

To make quick growth in 2-3 months for competition? :) Who knows.. Turn on co2 to max PPM, daliy water changes, no fish/shrimp inside then it is possible if done it right no algae issue will be present. You never know what they did how and why you can only guess.

But this is with all the entries of the competition! Everyone is doing this! Is quick growth the target or are the plants high light demanding plants?

I think this was addressed in your other thread.

Higher light will produce faster growth but not always healthier plants. It maybe an option to speed up progress to meet deadlines for competition entries where lower light would take too long. Co2 and distribution would need to be spot on.

Yes and at this photo size you will not see details of algae issue, or plant deficiencies.

Back