• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Balansae in Hard Water

OllieNZ

Hi All
I was wondering If anyone has had issues with C. Balansae in hard water? Mine just seems to be putting out smaller and smaller leaves. This is the second time in a different tank. The first time around I was trying to get to grips with running a planted and know where I went wrong. This time round I'm dosing EI, using easycarbo, have good flow and not too much light.
I was wondering if Balansae is one of those plants that is not a particularly good competitor for co2 and will struggle in hard water unless the co2 is cranked right up?

I know this species thrives in hard water areas naturally, unsure about the rest but as a crypt id of thought it would be more tolerant of lower c02, but not fluctuating c02. Mine took months to start growing well, it may be a slow acclimator! It will benefit from fertile substrate or root tabs as judging by the roots on mine it feeds heavily from the substrate. Id say feed the roots and give it time.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks for the input,
It is planted into soil capped with gravel so no worries there. Im just using easycarbo daily so no co2 fluctation issues and flow is provided by my JBL e1500 and a 3200l/hr wave maker so shouldn't be any issues on that front. It has only been planted a month so hopefully it is still settling.

OllieNZ said:
It has only been planted a month so hopefully it is still settling.
Sounds like it may be. Mine took a good 4 months + to get going really. I had very soft water then so it probably struggled with that a little too. Im adding mineral salts now so thats increased hardness a bit. With your hard water i think it wont take as long to start showing good growth. The trouble is its such a nice looking plant, often bought to add height and trail the surface so were guilty of being impatient with it. Stick with it its worth it! :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

I introduced some of this a few months ago and I have hard water, and it is definitely taking a long time to get going. I am using sand with root tabs and minimal column dosing and no carbon suppliment. In the last month it seems to have started to improve. If it is like my other Crypts it is probably rooting first!

Mind you nothing happens quickly in my low tech tank.

andy

Back