• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do i have baby Amano's?

I have just spotted this littlen when introducing my amanos back into my main tank while it was clcyling. Definitely an Amano / Hybrid as there are no other types in there

photo-1.jpg

I've had C. japonica breed in one of my low energy tanks.

That is I was sold them as C. japonica, and they look distinctly like C. japonica however they may have been another Caridinia spp, but not being an expert I am not sure if the difference between species of this genus is significant, and whether they require different conditions to grow from larvae to adult.

Anyway, I had a couple of the females heavy with eggs for a while, and immediately after a substantial water change I noticed a swarm of larvae suspended in the water column.

Unfortunately, my glutinous angels polished most of them off, and I was quite happy to let them since I believed at the time they wouldn't survive anyway. Their natural history involves being swept down to the ocean, where they mature before returning to freshwater.

However, I've been fascinated by natural history since a small child, and it has influenced my career path and hobbies (obviously) and I have often seen natural phenomena that runs contrary to established wisdom.

So...maybe Marks shrimp didn't read the text book! ;)

Mark, you will sell them to the forums at some point won't you? Not only do I want them, but med-size shrimp that are peaceful and breed in freshwater are super rare, and there have to be quite a few hobbyists who would be interested. And if they eat algae like the amanos so much the better for us aquascapers.

Mostly all "Amanos" in the UK or Germany are from Hong Kong as we are not aware any importer directly importing from Japan. They all import HK, China, Taiwan, Indonesia ...

It still does not rule out they are not true amanos. Everybody would already breed them readily otherwise. Or nature found it's course. As said before Mosura is claiming it is proper micro food dispersed in water not salty water required to raise this shrimp. Found berried amano in our tank so only way is to test it out now.

Anyway it does not matter as long as they do proper job cleaning algae and are fun to watch, when hungry they destroy everything including some plants.

Back