• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Survival [70L]

Pretty tank Mike. You have such a unique take on aquariums.

I often find myself looking around your tanks looking for great plant combinations. Good stuff.

clonitza said:
7584169506_104f9f119c_h.jpg
clonitza said:
Mike..... do you now sit and wait for your otto to position himself in exactly the same spot as the previous photo? :geek: Its incredible and surely not a coincidence!
Tank is looking great, very crisp and clean as usual :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks Mark for your kind words, I really missed your comments :).
Wish I can send this layout to Tropica when it's finished to change their ugly Hygro photos. :lol: I try to pic that plant that's not trendy and nobody uses for aquascaping, add one supporting plant, in this case some crypts and see how it goes. Next time I'll pick a red one, I'm trying to decide between Myriophyllum tuberculatum and Cabomba piauhyensis or both.

Ady mate, yes, that otto knows when it's shooting time and chooses the best spot in the house. :D

Alastair you spotted it right, I drain it before and hang the fish. :)

Thanks again guys for your comments, hope I can do another one soon.
There's still much to do and so little time until AGA.

Cheerio,
Mike

Still love this set up. All the more so because of that stunning Apisto. Can you explain the reasoning behind using a pH controller ?

Grown tired of fiddling with the CO2 using the drop checker, got a good price on it so I gave it a try. Works fine and plants are recovering nicely.

clonitza said:
Grown tired of fiddling with the CO2 using the drop checker, got a good price on it so I gave it a try. Works fine and plants are recovering nicely.

How does it actually work though ? Does it stop injecting CO2 when it reaches a preset pH? Given that most of us have different pH levels in our feed water, how does that equate to say 30ppm CO2?

I like your thought processes in developing your tank. the blend of different textures is very natural. i find with alot of tanks that there is no integration between the plants but this is growing in nicely.

lovely apisto aswell. how is he fairing without any caves?

Matt

Thanks Matt I've just received the plants in the back they still have to accommodate and change their colors as there's only one true red there. Regarding the apisto he has 4 females so there's no time to sit in a cave :) actually he doesn't really need any as there's no one to hide from and I don't see him being bothered by that, when there were more males the story was different.

I set the PH controller on auto for now and input the KH and it sets the PH to have ~20ppm CO2 in the tank when the PH raises with 0.05 more than the one set it opens the solenoid valve and when it drops with 0.05 below it closes it. I'll add tomorro the drop checker back in the tank to compare it with the PH controller. :)

Cheers,
Mihai

Some new plants in the back, unfortunately they are growing soo slow, hope I can improve that by adding a second filter or maybe they still haven't adapted to my tank, they were all red when I planted them.

8121522179_77d37cd856_h.jpg

Thanks mate. :)
I don't know why but every time I add red plants I end in removing them a week later after I take a full tank photo. :)
So many of the red plants gone, trimmed others, some stones and wood gone also, I might remove the larger stone too since it doesn't give me the natural look I want. Also added the second filter for extra flow, imagine a 2075 and an ecco 300 on a 70l tank. :lol:

8130479128_fbd576b425_h.jpg

Who can spot where's my apisto male? :)

Thanks mate, this setup had always ups and downs hence the name :)

Couple of new plants courtesy of Tobi (aquasabi) and I'm going to show you one now before it melts like all the one from this species I had before :lol:

Eriocaulon sp. 'Japan Needle Leaf'
8148434569_ddcb273523_h.jpg

and its little curly baby, I haven't seen it yesterday when I planted it so I'm gonna keep my eyes on it :shifty:
8148467046_9471d7b77f_h.jpg

High res images added so you can double zoom on them :)

Thanks for looking :)
Mike

thats a nice plant...love all these newish plants that are hitting the hobby at the mo. Looks a lot like Cyprus Helferi, keep us updated on it Mike!

Thanks Ian, yes there are a couple of nice plants out there. :)
The hard part is to mix them :) The yellowish patch on the left in the first picture is supposed to be Ludwigia senegalensis emersed (anubias linea cup), I hope it will grow, now it looks kinda sad, I think it stayed too much in shade.

Cheers,

Short text update:

- crypts are gone for good, they shade the lawn and prevent it from spreading around nicely.
- replaced the new atomizer with the regular atomizer, although the latter has a fine mist comparing with the larger bubbles coming from the first one they both require more or less the same amount of CO2 to drop the PH to the same levels, weird, I suspected the fine mist should work better.
- added a drop checker to double test the PH controller, as suspected it works as it should.

Mike

Back