• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What Kills Amano Shrimp?

And because this is my lucky month.. :(

The pipes from the filter leaked water into the cabinet, was not closed properly. So cabinet is now water damaged.

I emptied the tank, gave some fish to my brother and will distribute the other fish in between my other tanks.

The shrimp were caught and will go into a 35l cube.

Not sure what to do now with the tank. Maybe bin the cabinet and put the tank on the garden, or do a emersed scape on its currently location.

The cabinet being water damaged was not safe for a tank full of water, but for a emersed scape would work just fine.

ghostsword said:
And because this is my lucky month.. :(

The pipes from the filter leaked water into the cabinet, was not closed properly. So cabinet is now water damaged.

I emptied the tank, gave some fish to my brother and will distribute the other fish in between my other tanks.

The shrimp were caught and will go into a 35l cube.

Not sure what to do now with the tank. Maybe bin the cabinet and put the tank on the garden, or do a emersed scape on its currently location.

The cabinet being water damaged was not safe for a tank full of water, but for a emersed scape would work just fine.

Sad news :(

Is it possible to replace the cabinet?

such a nice set up to give up on bud?

Yes, I can replace the cabinet, but it is a old tank nonetheless. My first tank, it is about 5 years old and I bought it second hand.

Still don't know what I may do with it, feel tempted by a paludarium, but need to first see the state of the cabinet, would not like to have the sitting room full of water if it collapses.

ghostsword said:
Yes, I can replace the cabinet, but it is a old tank nonetheless. My first tank, it is about 5 years old and I bought it second hand.

Still don't know what I may do with it, feel tempted by a paludarium, but need to first see the state of the cabinet, would not like to have the sitting room full of water if it collapses.
I have a pair of clear 25l containers if you need bud. I remember you mentioning SA, if so understand gearing tank towards that? Otherwise it looked like a great tank to me, I say hang onto it.

A friend of mine dropped 20 Amano shrimp straight into his tank at night and they all settled in perfectly. No trip acclimation or anything. He EI doses and had loads of co2. The fish shop uses the same water as in his tank, They are normally very hardy shrimp so I'm surprised you have had such trouble. You may have even got a rubbish batch from the shop you bought them in. Probably worth checking your nitrated but as everyone has said its definitely co2. Amano shrimp shouldn't need as much drip as other more sensitive shrimp.

I will put the tank on the garden today, got space for it, grow a emersed jungle.. :)

Cover with clingfilm and let it adapt to open air slowly. Add some rocks and maybe let the bugs take over. In winter I will just bring it in or give it away before going to South Africa.

ghostsword said:
I will put the tank on the garden today, got space for it, grow a emersed jungle.. :)

Cover with clingfilm and let it adapt to open air slowly. Add some rocks and maybe let the bugs take over. In winter I will just bring it in or give it away before going to South Africa.

well, bud, if you need rid of any amanos, or plants, or fish, holla, I am only round the corner and always fancy some bargains :D :thumbup:

Back