• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jagz`s Rio Jungle

jagz

Well after much consideration i have decided to do another planted tank this time on a smaller scale, this in my journal and im open to all critism that you might have also for me to see progress of this tank flourish, hopefully.
So for the setup

TANK
Juwel Rio 180 in dark wood. With a modified cabinet, i always do this to the juwel cabinets as the standard cabinet dont seem to hope anything worth while lol

LIGHTS
Standard juwel high lite unit, 2x45w t5.

FILTER
At the moment i have a sinlge eheim ecco 200 on this tank as that is all i had when i set it up, this filter is not stopping on it, i have just brought a All Pond Solution 1400EF Plus which i have here sat at the side of the tank waiting to be installed and over the next few days im hoping to order a second All Pond Solution 1400EF but this one without the uv system. Both of the filters will be run using the spray bars provided.

CO2
2kg pressurised cylinder with a tmc v2 regulator and solanoid, diffused with a Up Atomiser.

HEATER
Hydor ETH300 inline external heater, running from a TC-10 control thermostat.

SUBSTRATE
Akadama bonsai soil.

HARDSCAPE
Mainly moponi wood with the odd bit on mini landscape rock.

PLANTS
Loads of different one :twisted: :shh:
But i have in there at the moment-
Staurogyne Repens,
Hydrocotyle sp Japan,
Java Fern, <<<< no longer using this
Anubias Barteri Nana,
Weeping Moss,
Fissidens Fontanus.
And still to come just waiting for postman pat to get his ass into gear-
Round Pellia,
Glossostigma Elatinoides,
Pogostemon Erectus,
Pogostemon Helferi,
Eleocharis Parvula Mini,
Blyxa Japonica.
I think that is it for now lol

FERTILISER
James All-In-One mix from dry salts.

LIVESTOCK
Well i aim to have this as mainly a cherry shrimp tank and maybe at a later date add a different species that wont crossbred with the cherries. As for fish i was thinking maybe some shouling tetras something like embers or cardinals, and then i might add a few ottos into the mix to help on the clean up side of things.

THE PLAN
So my plan is to have a wood dominated scape with the odd few rock and put loads of different plants in making it more like a jungel scape, as for livestock i want mainly cherry shrimp with the odd group of tetras maybe embers,neons or cardinals still undecided on this yet.

PICTURES
OK guys this is where im at as of tonight, please take no notice of the big rock on the right side of the wood as this is only temp while it hold the wood down as it wants to float a little.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

I hope you enjoy.

Those filters appear very good value, what do you make of them?

JenCliBee said:
Looking good jags, not sure about the rock on the wood though lol ;)

thank you jen, yea i thought that rock looked a bit pants too that is why it aint stopping there, :thumbup:

nry said:
Those filters appear very good value, what do you make of them?

i will let you know, i have just this second put it on the tank and the eheim is no longer on the tank as im buying a 2nd aps 1400ef tomorrow, so that should be here on wednesday,

A little update, as i have just said the eheim filter is not on this tank anymore and i have put the APS 1400EF plus on with the spray bar and already im getting a much better flow,

I have also pulled out the java fern from the back left as i was very unsure of it anyway, and im going to use a different stem plant there instead with maybe some more different types of anubias

i will put some more pics up when the dust has settled lol

Pretty impressive start. Nice one :thumbup: Would be interested in seeing a few more details about how you did your cabinet conversion. Im looking at swapping out my aquience for one of these.

well i have done a few juwel mods but this one was by far the most simple, the upright piece which is on the right of the left door was just removed and then turned 90 degrees to make the front panel, i added some magnet catches to the piece that i removed and that piece just clips in and out now, as for the right hand side i have not done anything there other than remove the shelf,

the cabinet modded the way i have done it will allow me to fit 2 All Pond Solutions 1400EF side by side, there was no need for a upright support in this mod because the back panel hasnt been moved and the right hand upright is still in its original place

let me know if none of that made sense, or you need move info and i will try to do a drawing

IT kinda made sense but a pic would always help :) Does that not reduce the cabinet's structural soundness though?

not at all mate still have 3 uprights which if you look at the older rio 180 that didnt have the shelf in the middle, only had 3 uprights in the first place, only my middle upright is off centre

jagz said:
not at all mate still have 3 uprights which if you look at the older rio 180 that didnt have the shelf in the middle, only had 3 uprights in the first place, only my middle upright is off centre

Thats good to know :) so being off centre makes no difference ? I suppose with a 100cm tank probably not but with a 3m tank probably would. Cheers :)

well mine has been running like this now for 12 months with no problems at all, it is only off center by about 6 in, yea i would want more 3 upright supports on a 3m tank anyways lol

jagz said:
well mine has been running like this now for 12 months with no problems at all, it is only off center by about 6 in, yea i would want more 3 upright supports on a 3m tank anyways lol

Thats great to know. My LFS guy has told me Juwel are doing a special offer of free cabinet with the tank this month and September. He is also gonna cut me a deal ;) I may have to see about selling the Aquience :( but if it means I get a new Rio then all good :thumbup:

join the juwel side dude, you wont be dissapointed

Well i think it is time for a picless update lol

So i have now the eheim is long gone, and i have added the aps 1400ef plus i have also brought another aps 1400 ef this one is without the uv, they are both running on spray bars, and flow seems to be very good at the moment,
I have also hooked up the co2 with up atomiser , i had a few teething problems but i think i might of now sorted these out, but i my drop checker dont stay stuck on the glass for very long so i cant get a accurate reading of levels, fortunatly i have no fish in there yet. When i get another up atomiser i will be adding this to the other filter so the co2 is injected more equally across the tank,

On the plant side of things lots have turned up lol, the Round Pellia, is on 2 wire mesh square and in place, the glossostigma Elatinoides is now planted in a carpet fashion, the P Erectus, P Helferi, Eleocharis Parvula Mini and Blyxa Japonica are all in place, just waiting for some Heteranthera zosterifolia (stargrass) to turn up in the post for the final bit of substrate to be filled, i have also been out and brought some more anubias nana today to go onto the wood,

well sorry for the lack of pics on this update but all the lights are off now so ill have to get some tomorrow and add them.

Nice.

I'm going to buy a Rio 180 myself.

But will I fit a Eheim 2180 in there with the way you modded the cabinet?
Eheim 2180 is 56,7cm high, 33cm wide, 33cm deep.

Thanks for the pictures and the idea of modding :)

bigone said:
Nice.

I'm going to buy a Rio 180 myself.

But will I fit a Eheim 2180 in there with the way you modded the cabinet?
Eheim 2180 is 56,7cm high, 33cm wide, 33cm deep.

Thanks for the pictures and the idea of modding :)
definitely. The cabinets on each side are around 25cm on their own so you will have acres of space

I just checked and I don't think so. Sorry I didn't even think to check that. It's about 32cm. If you are modding the cabinet would it hurt to shift the back panel along so the filter could sit out the back?

Maybe it gets more than 33cm deep if I move the backpanel more to the right? I guess the backpanel is about 2cm thick...

Edit: My plan is to drill new holes on the bottom plate so that I can move everything forward - giving me more space backwards... if u understand :)

The bottom plate is 38,8 cm... so it should be space for a Eheim 2180 :)

Look at SB100
http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/out/media/ ... 25_155.pdf

hi guys ,

i have spoke with bigone on pm, and the way i would do it personally is to move the back panel all the way to the one side behind the cupboard that he intends on keeping, if there still is not enough room to fit the filter to the side of it i would take off a inch or 2 from that panel to make room,

moveing all the holes forward seems alot more work than is needed,

hope this helps

Ric

jagz said:
hi guys ,

i have spoke with bigone on pm, and the way i would do it personally is to move the back panel all the way to the one side behind the cupboard that he intends on keeping, if there still is not enough room to fit the filter to the side of it i would take off a inch or 2 from that panel to make room,

moveing all the holes forward seems alot more work than is needed,

hope this helps

Ric

Thanks for the help! I'm picking up the aquarium tomorrow perhaps. Can't wait :)

Back