• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 advice

TopKat75

Seedling
Hi guys, need some advice on a couple of things!! If i were to use a external reactor to distribute co2 in my tank (currently using a diffuser) am i right in thinking the co2 is then completely dissolved in the waterbeing returned to the tank? If so what are peoples thoughts on surface agitation, can co2 still be driven off at the surface if i were to increase agitation? My other query is for how long do the plants feed on the co2? Is it for the full photoperiod in my case 7 hrs, i've noticed when my co2 shuts down 2 hrs before lights out there's very little change in colour in my drop checker. Its positioned where there's good flow so is there a reason why co2 isn't being used up? Thanks in advance for any replies :)

I'm still a noob when it comes to co2 but i shall tell you what ive learnt so far....

"co2 is then completely dissolved in the waterbeing returned to the tank?" - To my knowledge you still get the co2 bubbles, but they are smaller and more efficient as transfering the co2 to the water.

"My other query is for how long do the plants feed on the co2?" they feed whilst the lights are on, the general idea is to put the co2 on an hour or two before lights on so co2 is at its optimum level. you can also usually turn it off an hour before lights out to conserve co2.

" there's very little change in colour in my drop checker" - i wouldnt worry about that too much. mine stays green near enough all the time unless removed from tank. you also need to be aware that there is always co2 in the aquarium, i dont think it can ever be all used up.

thats my 2 cents anyway, ive left out the questions that i didnt know the answers to but im sure someone more experienced will be along soon!

TopKat75 said:
Hi guys, need some advice on a couple of things!! If i were to use a external reactor to distribute co2 in my tank (currently using a diffuser) am i right in thinking the co2 is then completely dissolved in the waterbeing returned to the tank? No - A reactor will not completely disolve all the gas - a mist will appear (very tiny bubbles) If so what are peoples thoughts on surface agitation, can co2 still be driven off at the surface if i were to increase agitation? Yes My other query is for how long do the plants feed on the co2? even during natural lighting Inc. sun light on the tank the plants will consume some of your residual gas Is it for the full photoperiod in my case 7 hrs, i've noticed when my co2 shuts down 2 hrs before lights out there's very little change in colour in my drop checker but there is some change in colour - maybe only slightly but this tells you that the plants are consuming the gas whilst the ligyts are still on . Its positioned where there's good flow so is there a reason why co2 isn't being used up? Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Hey topkat, drop checkers are generally about 2 hours behind the actual co2 concentration, however as said above often the DC wont change back to blue over night it depends on the amount of surface agitation.
It depends on the reactor as to whether you get bubbles, personally my diy reactor is 40cm long and co2 dissolves almost entirely so no mist or bubbles at all aside from pearling.
Personally i think surface agitation is very important for gas exchange, ripples but not breaking the surface.
Plants will be at there most hungry when the lights first come on so having optimal co2 at that time is vital. Even with surface agitation the concentration of co2 in the tank will last a couple of hours so no needs to continue to run your gas until lights off. Dont focus on the DC.. make sure it is green at lights on then focus on your plants and fish for an accurate guide on co2 concentration. Most plants will feed for as long as there is light.
:thumbup:

Thanks for the replies, i'm currently using an easy aqua 4 in 1 super atomiser and to be fair it produces an extremely fine mist just cant make up my mind wether i like the look of the tank when its on and the mist is swirling about if you know what i mean. I dont think there's a crevice in the tank thats not getting co2 into it and i know i should be grateful that after weeks of tinkering with flow and co2 distribution that it appears pretty much spot on now its just not a natural look. I've seen some set ups where pearling was quite spectacular but it appeared natural you know!! Again thanks for your thoughts :thumbup:

I'm actually moving in about 6 weeks so the last month or 2 has been trying out a few ideas with flow, co2, lighting, moved over to EI etc so when i set up again i've got these fundamentals nailed down. Unfortunately i wasn't able to try out these reactors as i didnt have an external filter to hand. Is building your own reactor straight forward Iain or should i be looking at purchasing recommended ones people our using on here for the first time?

buying is easier and probably a similar price.Ive never tried it but the AM1000 is supposed to be good. I needed to build one as the pump running it has 32mm hose. It was just an experiment but id do another in a more traditional size that fits in the cabinet.

Brilliant foxfish that looks achievable even for me lol, thanks for the link i'll let you know how i get on!!

Back