• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone tried these low tech...

I've tried Pinnatifida a couple of times, in different tanks.Low tech & with liquid carbon.Never really got it to take.
Rumour has it, it's not keen on hard water.I maybe wrong.

I suggest you give serious thought to the Araguaia. I liked it at first, but found that it is only good in very specific scapes. It certainly never gelled in my tank :( The way it grows and its structure is such that you should only get it if you want a very bold look.

hey chris, cheers for the tip, TBH i have a scape in mind but it would definitely benefit from being high tech and a bigger tank :confused: need more tanks lol All my very limited experience with low tech seems to suggest they benefit from not being too planned or structured so to speak...get the plants in and let nature take its course, with a little luck it will look ok. Ultimately the taiwans are the star of the show though. Off to TGM next weekend so really the tank will arrange itself depending on the wood i get.

Hi Ian, both them will grow low tech no problems. Might be good to add low tech ferts, micros plus K.
The thing with low tech tank looking good is to pack it with plants from day 1 as you wont see much of a change going on ;)

Yeah, pinnitifada went bezerk in my nano (pH 5 and soft, Amazonia II, T5 lights). Never got the offcuts to take well in the big tank though (pH 7.5, hard, soil substrate, halides). Both very low fert dosing.
looks like it went well tom, hope it goes as well for me. Tank will be soft, 6.5 and ebi-gold so fingers crossed.

Hi Ian, both them will grow low tech no problems. Might be good to add low tech ferts, micros plus K.
The thing with low tech tank looking good is to pack it with plants from day 1 as you wont see much of a change going on ;)
Hey Ed, im still a bit unsure with ferting a CRS tank, so thats very helpful thanks. Im guessing very low quantity also?
One stuffed tank coming up !
Thanks.

Pinnatifida NEEDS CO2 like we need oxygen to do well otherwise it will keep shedding leaves and die off. It can do well with medium lighting but high is best. It definitely ahs a pretty long adjustment period when newly introduced in a tank and I would not recommend buying it in its emerged form. I got a single stem from a guy who had collected it from the wild and had it in his tank. Most of them had died of while converting from emerged to submersed forms but I got a stem that fully converted. I placed it under the lights and towards the spraybar so that it got good flow and was getting blasted by CO2 from the UP diffuser. It took a very long time to adjust and get going. Slow, leggy growth, constantly shedding lower leaves. Then after 3 months it just took off like crazy sending runners and plantlets all over the place. Now I cant trim and get rid of it fast enough lol.
This is my experience in my tank with EI, 2.2 WPG, Azoo Substrate

looks like it went well tom, hope it goes as well for me. Tank will be soft, 6.5 and ebi-gold so fingers crossed.

Hey Ed, im still a bit unsure with ferting a CRS tank, so thats very helpful thanks. Im guessing very low quantity also?
One stuffed tank coming up !
Thanks.

I add occasional ferts to my tank mate with crs and they're doing fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinnatifida NEEDS CO2 like we need oxygen to do well otherwise it will keep shedding leaves and die off. It can do well with medium lighting but high is best. It definitely ahs a pretty long adjustment period when newly introduced in a tank and I would not recommend buying it in its emerged form. I got a single stem from a guy who had collected it from the wild and had it in his tank. Most of them had died of while converting from emerged to submersed forms but I got a stem that fully converted. I placed it under the lights and towards the spraybar so that it got good flow and was getting blasted by CO2 from the UP diffuser. It took a very long time to adjust and get going. Slow, leggy growth, constantly shedding lower leaves. Then after 3 months it just took off like crazy sending runners and plantlets all over the place. Now I cant trim and get rid of it fast enough lol.
This is my experience in my tank with EI, 2.2 WPG, Azoo Substrate

Did fine for me without CO2 and adjusted quickly from the emerged Tropica pot I bought. But only in one tank, in the other it never took.

Back