• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scape in progress (untitled)

TOO

Greetings from Denmark!

I have now used this wonderful site for a long time while contemplating my current scape. It has been a huge inspiration. The current scape has been running since late November. A few specs:
Garnelenhaus opti-white shallow tank 75x45x25; NA cabinet; ADA pendant 2x36w; ADA jet pipes (modified for the height of this tank); ADA advanced Co2 system: ADA and Tropica fertilizers; 70% RO water. Plants: Bolbitis heudelotii, Microsorum pteropus "mini" + "narrow", Fissidens fontanus, Rotala rotundifolia, Bacopa monnieri, Cyperus helferi, several variants of Bucephalandra motleyana. So far things are running smoothly with some green algae and a bit of hair (but, it seems, under control).

Here are a few pics of what it looks like now.

8374482130_5d1cd92154_b_d.jpg

8374483744_4a84eb15d4_b_d.jpg

It is still work in progress, which is why I have started this thread. I am pretty happy with the left side of the tank, but as is evident, the right needs some work. I planted Bacopa monnieri in the corner in the hope that it would grow fast and through the surface. For some reason this does not seem to be happening. Right now I am considering adding a "house" plant such as Spathiphyllum as I would really like to have some emersed growth (this was the original idea behind having a shallow tank). I would very much welcome any other suggestions for plants that can grow emersed AND maintain nice leaves in room humidity (this is, I guess, one of the attractions of the Spathiphyllum).

Any other layout suggestions would be hugely appreciated too!

Best,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Congratulations on a lovely set-up and refreshing aquascape! Nice photography too. :)

I like the almost orderly layout - it's very neat. The aquascape is divided in a very linear fashion, which would usually look unappealing but it works quite nicely here. Something you could consider is adding more smaller pebbles to compliment your large stones, as well as acting as a transition from the sand to the wood. I think this would soften the overall feel by adding a further natural element.

I think you may be seeing slow growth in the right corner due to it potentially receiving less CO2 and nutrients, as a result of the circulation in the tank. However, as I cannot see the tank running, this is just a guess. Is the Bacopa being moved by the water movement?

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice about emersed growth, but they are plenty of folk on here that will soon, I hope!

All the best, and thanks for sharing.

George

Thanks for positive feedback everyone.

George: The idea of adding more smaller pebbles is a strong idea that I will test. You are right about the need for softening the transition area a bit. And perhaps you have a point about the corner and nutrient deficiency there. Despite having an almost oversized filter and very strong current at the left side, there is no visible movement in the right side. For that reason I also chose what I thought to be an easy plant (Bacopa monnieri), but apparently this group has decided to be not so easy :).

Anyway, I am still looking for ideas for an alternative...

Best,

Thomas

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your interest!

I love the jets. Chose them for two reasons: first, I like the industrial look of them, and, second, I know I am too lazy to clean the glass pipes as often as they need :). What I particularly like about the outflow is that it creates a lovely ripple effect (maybe glass pipes do too, but I have limited experience with these). Filter is a JBL that runs about 900 l/h. Comparable to Eheim in noise and ease of use, but at a much lower price.

About the CRS: that is not a bad idea at all, especially if they could help a bit with algae in the fissidens. What is your experience? Do they have any value as algae eaters? Sure look nicer and are better sized than Amanos.

Best,

Thomas

Hi all,

Been a while, but had some algae issues and rescaped some. Stone is Yamaya. It is only two weeks old and plants need to fill in, but I feel it has good potential. Sorry about the sand, looks a bit untidy. Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on this.

8706902077_194babe8a8_c.jpg
DSC_0412 by Ameerega, on Flickr

It is easy to say, but looks much better in real life. Can't seem to do proper photographs.

Greetings,

Thomas

This is a lovely looking scape....I really like it. I'm very tempted to buy a shallow tank after looking at this! I also really like the metal pipe work in this scape. You seem to have a bit of everything in this scape....rock, wood, stems, carpets, moss, sand...which is what makes it so interesting. It is also very neat and tidy, and the plants are arranged in such a way it's a very pleasing scape to look at. Your fish look really cool in that scape also. Really cool mate nice one :):)

I love this...very clean and well thought out layout. The only thing I would say if I'm being a little pedantic, is that some of the rock placement at the front look a little unnatural. That is a Minor though as the plant place ment pulls you eyes away from this.

Really nice, well done!

The one that keep jumping at me is the one on the far right and far left, I expect if you remove/move these it will look better.

As said though, really good scape.

hi thomas, i agree with ian, far left and far right look like you put them there.... however would suggest that moss pushed in the gaps across the scape's rockwork would give a softer feel to the whole picture while keeping the structural stones but think less would be more....distract dont detract :)

Lovely setup Thomas. I agree about that stone on the left, I'd try and replace it with one much smaller (Not that I know what I'm doing) I saw this over the weekend and thought it looked very nice. Only just had chance to respond.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your constructive feedback. Took it on board and played around with the stone formation. Result:

DSC_0422 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Placed smaller stones on the left + tried to create more perspectives by adding some "coves". Thinking of creating some moss stones to blend in. Cuba and Stauro seem to do ok on the lava rocks.

Obviously, the unplanted area on the far left needs to be filled out. Perhaps some more crypts or hairgrass. There is not a lot of light here. Also the right side needs to fill out with the Lindernia and Lileapsis. Currently the scape has thirteen plant species.

I am using the Flowgrow fertilizer range, TPN, Micro and Special N. Looking forward to see how it works. I have held back on it during the first few weeks.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks for your interest.

Thomas

Hi,

A small update: added some more plants, i.e. crypts, in the sides of the tank. More or less finishes the planting. The shot is post-prune, so not at its fullest and greenest. Suggestions for improvement are welcomed as always.

c

DSC_0433 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thomas

Looking very nice Thomas, the rock alterations and additional plants really improve an already excellent layout. All the plants are looking really healthy now and the scape is maturing nicely. I really like how some of the stones are getting a slight green coating, yet the sand bed is being kept pristine, some like them scrubbed and clinical, but I think it gives a nicer transition to the planted area behind.
Really nice layout, keep the pictures coming :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back