• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Safe cover for heater?

killi69

I am looking for a way to cover the casing of my heater to stop pipefish fry from getting burned between the heater and its casing;
20130108_192910_LLS.jpg

20130108_192910_LLS-2.jpg

Do people think I will be able to use stocking? I know many people use it inside the filter chamber to hold products like Purigen. I assume the casing around the heater would prevent the stocking from melting but wonder whether it is safe to use in a small volume of water (about 20l).

What do people think - or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks for your help,
Andre

Thanks Iain, sorry for late reply. I suppose that might be a more simple solution to the little ones getting caught inside. I was just a bot paranoid about the larger pipefish burning themselves on the heater, especially as I read that if their skin is damaged, they easily develop skin infections from which they usually end up killing them :crazy:

Hi, a better option (if it is one) would be either an external heater like a Hydor, which a lot of people use now, or if your budget extends then you might consider an Eheim thermofilter ?

Back