• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Short term CO2 to accelerate carpet?

LancsRick

As I lie in bed and look at my shrimp tank (as of yet lacking shrimp until it's established), the immediate thought when looking at my ele. acic and ele.acic sp.mini carpet is that, well, it's not much of a carpet yet. Since the tank is low tech, it's going to take a few months I expect until there's a true carpet, which brings me to my question...

I'm aware that when taking plants from high tech to low tech, there is usually some level of die-back whilst they adapt. Would there therefore be any merit in hooking up CO2 to this tank for a few weeks to accelerate the growth, before removing it to allow it to be a low maintenance shrimp tank?

It takes ages for it to grow in my opinion mate, and thats WITH co2!

Mines still got a long way to go before I'd class it as a carpet.
Yeah, I'm experiencing this too with the e. sp. mini.
You could just buy some more of course to fill it out, if funds allowed?

It takes ages for it to grow in my opinion mate, and thats WITH co2!

Mines still got a long way to go before I'd class it as a carpet.

+1

It's a slow carpet and I've been blasting mine with co2

I've just got my first runners....tank will be due a rescape before it fills in!

Well at least I know it's not going to be an overnight job regardless - that said, how much benefit will I see from CO2, and will it be worth it given the potential die-back?

I've got a few pesky ones to chase with tweezers later, they haven't grown big enough roots yet, so sometimes the odd one goes for a swim...

Well at least I know it's not going to be an overnight job regardless - that said, how much benefit will I see from CO2, and will it be worth it given the potential die-back?

I've got a few pesky ones to chase with tweezers later, they haven't grown big enough roots yet, so sometimes the odd one goes for a swim...

It depends, a 2 week blast wont be enough.

I'm anticipating a couple of months at least (would also be a chance to play with CO2 in a tank with no livestock!).

Back