• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pruning stems: 'time lapse' photos for the perfect look

greenink

Would really like to see a 'how to guide' for getting stem plants properly bushy, with a series of 'time lapse' photos.

I've never pruned really harshly, but from reading around, I think it's key. The steps seem to be:

1. Plant new stems an inch or two apart, in bunches of 4-5 for thin stems (Rotala) or individually for thicker stems (Limnophila).

2. Allow to settle in, develop roots and grow for a few weeks, to 10 inches or so. Then prune to just 3 nodes above substrate. This gets side shoots going. If you're short on plants, fine to replant tops in the same area.

3. Allow to grow again to about the same height. If the bottoms are getting scraggy, flow and CO2 isn't high enough, so try and sort that, or make sure the bottoms are hidden by lower plants or hardscape. Prune to 2-3 nodes above the previous cut, to get the plant even bushier. Don't worry about the shape of the plant yet - you're still just going for density. This time, don't replant tops in the same bunch, as growth will then be too uneven if you that.

4. Allow to grow up again. Then prune just above the previous pruning, but in the right shape for the 'scape. Because the plants are pretty settled, growth should be quite even.

Ta da! You now have a well-shaped, bushy plant. In theory.

(The technique for rapidly increasing plant mass is different - with rotala, for example, a good way is to let stems hit the surface, where they'll produce loads of side shoots, which can be trimmed and replanted. Quite quickly you're got 20x as many plants. But it looks messy...)

Would be great if people could post any 'time series' photos they've got that show this process happening in their tank, with photos taken just before and after each trim. Time to go through your archives!

I'm going to try this technique (with proper ruthlessness) on the rotalas in my big tank from this weekend and will update this topic as things progress...

Right, here we go. Originally had about 20 rotala roundifolia stems in this tank, now have about 250, planted in about 40 bunches of 5-8 stems. But have been trimming way too high. So am taking the serious plunge and being radical.

Here's the tank just pre-trim.
2013-01-04%20at%2020-22-01.jpg

Here's the tank post-trim. (For descriptions of changes beyond the pruning, see my journal - will try and keep this thread pure!)
2013-01-05%20at%2022-04-06.jpg

Close up of right side before.
2013-01-04%20at%2018-47-46.jpg

Right side after
2013-01-05%20at%2022-04-57.jpg

Centre before.
2013-01-04%20at%2020-22-20.jpg

Centre after.
2013-01-05%20at%2022-05-19.jpg

Gulp. :what:

Have gone as low as I dared, and done step 2 in the post above... will update in a few weeks when results are in...

Here's a bit of sprouting, giving a sense of what you get from just a few stems - there are about 6 base stems here.
2013-02-11%20at%2017-07-24.jpg

Have gone through a couple of re-trim step 2's to bulk up the mass, and just cut everything back to the same height, ruthlessly today. In the big tank:
2013-02-11%20at%2017-13-46.jpg

And the little tank got the same treatment. Photo to come later tonight (camera battery just died).

Here's the photo of the little tank, which has had the rotala chopped back to 5-6 centimetres (first chop was 3-4) on both the far right and left.
2013-02-11%20at%2021-48-39.jpg

And here's the rotala at the back right of the big tank, post chop..
2013-02-11%20at%2021-56-43.jpg

...and back left...
2013-02-11%20at%2021-56-09.jpg

Is quite hard to get a decent shot of the back. Now just to let it grow for a few weeks, and then time to trim into shape. Fingers crossed.

This is something i must do with rotala also to try to get a good dense bush growth.What sort of growth did you get after the 1st trim that you did,what was the new growth like?What you have started here is a big help to me and i would think many others thanks.Cheers mark

Thats good so i suppose with the second trim that you have carried out you left a couple of cm of the new growth and cut it there?Cheers mark

Right, here we go. Originally had about 20 rotala roundifolia stems in this tank, now have about 250, planted in about 40 bunches of 5-8 stems. But have been trimming way too high. So am taking the serious plunge and being radical.

Here's the tank just pre-trim.
2013-01-04%20at%2020-22-01.jpg
What's the palm tree looking plant? Think I may have to get myself some lol

Definitely interested to see the next phase. I think the trimming and plant care is often an after thought but makes the difference from a good tank to a stunning tank...

lets be 'avin you!

Back