• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Struggling With Nesaea Crassicaulis.

Quetzalcoatl

I am struggling with my Nesaea Crassicaulis. The general health of the plant seems poor, growth seems to of stalled, and colouration is not as it should be. I understand this is a difficult species but really wanted a crack at it, as I planned on using it as a main feature in a new scape.

Pressurised Co2.
Dosing Ei to recommended levels. (KH2PO4 qty increase X2)
Good Flow around the plant.
0.6 wpl / 2.5 wpg T5HO 865 Daylight :geek:
Temp 25c
7hr Photoperiod.
Currently planted in Cat Litter substrate with TNC Root Tabs.

Too add, Ludwigia Glandulosa which is planted in close proximity to the Nesaea suffers similar misfortunes? Bottom leaves become tatty and attract BBA. Would the addition of extra Fe be beneficial?
I`m at a loss with this one. I manage to grow Hairgrass, HC, and Blyxa ok in the same tank. Can`t understand what`s out?

I have no pics to post at the min. Can upload some later if required?

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Hi,
There is a 99.44% probability that these plants are suffering from poor CO2. Since you say that in the same tank, HC, which is also a CO2 hog, grows fine, then we'd have to conclude that the distribution of your flow, or your flow in general is a major factor in poor performance.

L. Glandulosa is a slow grower anyway and N. Crasssicaulis is unforgiving of CO2 incompetence. You might actually be better off using less light intensity and that will give you more leeway in terms of CO2. If you reduce the light energy then overall growth rates will slow, but that's a minor penalty in order to gain better overall health. You might also consider supplementing with liquid carbon assuming you do not have any other plants that respond poorly to Liquid Carbon products.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
There is a 99.44% probability that these plants are suffering from poor CO2. Cheers,

How did you compute this probability level (& at what confidence??) :shifty: :geek: :D

Hi,
I was utterly surprised to learn that this plant is supposed to be difficult to grow since it is the first rooted plant I've tried to grow, and it is flourishing with great abundance. I've multiplied it from the original two stems to about twenty, some twenty inches tall. It goes through periods when it does not do as well when I let the water get too hard. Even then, it gets sightly less color and grows slower.
The color is much brighter since I got a new Flora Sun bulb for the hood.
Since a nutrient rich tank is suggested as necessary, this may be the reason that mine are doing well. I have two large goldfish who provide too many nutrients. This works well since I need to reduce nitrates in a rather large way and the plants are doing that.
I'm thinking that problems with lower leaves may be due to less light for two reasons. First, the lower leaves are shaded by the upper ones. Second, the lower leaves are farther from the light source, and it's a 1/r^2 factor for intensity. My plants do not do nearly as well if I prune them too short and try to transplant them, even when they are not shaded by the other plants. The only way cuttings thrive is if I can get a branch that is already at least about six to eight inches long so that the top will be close enough to the light. Since my tank is twenty inches tall, this cuts the distance by almost half and increases the intensity by four times as much.
As for the CO2, I can't say for sure. I have extreme aeration, and no CO2 injection, but the bacterial nitrification produces CO2, and I have industrial strength nitrification going on with those goldfish. If all that you have is plants, it's entirely possible that you don't have enough CO2, but I'm thinking that it may be a shortage of fertilizer and or light.
You may also consider adding a grow light on the side to give more intenisity to the lower leaves.
Best Regards, DN.

I'm thinking that it may be a shortage of fertilizer and or light. You may also consider adding a grow light on the side to give more intensity to the lower leaves.

Very true. This plant needs a lot of light or the lower leaves will die. Also it thrives best in soft water.

Back