• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend a PAR meter...

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
So think i have decided to get a PAR meter, the question is which?
The seneye reef is the obvious budget choice but how does the PAR meter measure up?
Others i have heard of are the apogee mq-200 quantum
MQ-200 Quantum Separate Sensor with Handheld Meter - Apogee Instruments, Inc.
and the li-cor which are crazy money.
Aside from being waterproof what else should i be looking for?

thanks for any advice you may have...

I'm with Paulo. The Apogee is a great little meter, but is definitely overpriced. Don't know anything about the Seneye.

Vendors need to start a program where they hire out PAR meters.

Cheers,

Ive been reading around the reef forums and the seneye gets terrible reviews with the par meter showing up to 20% variance from Apogee and unless totally horizontal and still then the PAR reading can vary by up to 50 with very small movements.
Would be nice to rent one, if only life was so easy.

I have the seneye reef but haven't been able to borrow an Apogee MQ200 to confirm its results. It does have to be completely level in order to get a stable reading and due to its size, its hard sometimes, especially if you tank is heavily planted/scaped.

Paulo,
Can I ask you a question? What information are your comments here based on? As I know this type of generic comment may be popular on forums however it may also show a lack of understanding of some of the experienced lighting manufacturers that are out there. :(
Ceg4048, I think this will be wishful thinking personally as there would be very little reason for them to do it, especially when there is no real requirement on the manufacturerto rent when they can sell. Just my tuppence worth!;)

however it may also show a lack of understanding of some of the experienced lighting manufacturers that are out there.
So true, but you hardly see any par values given by any vendor, and when asked most of the time they just avoid the subject all together, not saying all are the same ;)

Back