• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black HC stems and leaves

Martin cape

Anyone have any idea why some of the stems and leaves on my HC are going black? Looks kinda like algae but surely it can't be.

Just sand substrate. This is one stem but its dotted about everywhere
ha2u2u2e.jpg

I dose EI and this is where HC is
2use8evy.jpg

Since your CO2 checker looks pale green I would consider CO2 to be on the right side more or less.
So in your case PO4 and/or Iron levels should be raised.
The bast results with HC on sand I had with Nutrafin Plant Gro, which was Iron enriched.

Last time I checked iron it was above 1ppm. That's enough isn't it pal?

I know phosphate is around 5ppm too. I do get a lot of green spot algae along the glass just above the substrate level. That's down to low phosphate too but EI aim is 2-3ppm. I'm confused.

Last time I checked iron it was above 1ppm. That's enough isn't it pal?

I know phosphate is around 5ppm too. I do get a lot of green spot algae along the glass just above the substrate level. That's down to low phosphate too but EI aim is 2-3ppm. I'm confused.
Well If your data is correct then I can not say for sure. The levels you mention are not only sufficient, they are actually a bit on the high side. Then you should look at the Potassium levels. In the EI they should be around 20-30ppm.
You can also increase the CO2 up to a level that would not harm the fish.

Yea I can't measure potassium unfortunately but I do dose the same amount as nitrate. It seems weird.

Flow seems to be fine also as the water flows right over that area from the spray bar :(

Back