• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crushed Lava (Fuji Grit)

madlan

Has anyone used crushed lava for substrate before? I wonder if it would have an effect on the water chemistry?

Crushed Lava - 12 ltr Bag [CL-003] - £11.00 : British Bonsai, the UKs Top Online Bonsai Tree Shop

d4ca9c5b9eb3760d09731c528cb2c42e.image.750x447.jpg

I used similar stuff to build up my substrate. It did require a lot of washing to get rid of the fines and it is quite sharp so make sure it is capped properly with soil, sand or gravel.

Yeah quite possibly. Mine isn't the same brand as yours, it's red-brown and is 8-16mm in size. The skin on my hands was quite worn after washing it our for so long and moving it around with my hands.

Surely you could get a few litres of sand to cover it?

P

Yeah quite possibly. Mine isn't the same brand as yours, it's red-brown and is 8-16mm in size. The skin on my hands was quite worn after washing it our for so long and moving it around with my hands.

Surely you could get a few litres of sand to cover it?

P

If its just for shrimp there's no need to add sand. Should be fine mate as is. Afterall its only crushed up versions of the whopping pieces of the ada lava rock stuff they use in their tanks for example

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Plus, putting sand over it would just result in a mess; the sand would settle below the gravel.

Hi,

I use some mosquito net to separate the lava rock and sand so it can't mix. Whether the sharpness really matters I don't know ( I also use lava rock for hardscape).

I couldn't see from the description of the Fuji grit how big each piece is. However, with the stuff I use being so big, I think it would look pretty unusual if it wasn't capped.

P

Back