• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lakeside Rilli-state

I had a few bits and bobs hanging around and thought I might have a run at setting up a small scape. The tank that I'm using is a Jewel korall 60. It's in it's standard guise at the moment so not many thrills. I think I'll upgrade as I go along with this one. The tank boasts a super duper internal filter and a single light..... Luckily I'm going to start dry so probably safe at the moment.

So, I had a few pebbles and a bit of redmoor root hanging around plus a bit at tropica substrate and ADA Amazonia 2.

I laid the Tropica substrate down, about 1/4 of the bag and filled over with half a 9 litre bag of Amazonia. I pushed the substrate up in the back left corner sloping down to the front and to the right. After playing with the 2 bits of wood and 12 or 13 bits of rock I got them in to a position that I liked. To be fair, I didn't have many options but think its looking good.

Next thing was to consider what to do with the whole dry start method. After reading some other members posts with particular attention to George Farmers, I decided to fill the tank a little over the substrate for a couple of days to make sure it was nice and damp then drained back out to leave a little water in the bottom. Heat came next. I know the tank has a hood, but would that be enough.... Hmmm, cling film seemed the only option to keep the moisture in. Just for good measure though, I took the heater that came with the aquarium and stuck it in a half pint glass filled with water.

I ended up with this.....

lSuYMFU.jpg

I kept this setup for a couple of days whilst I kept an eye on the heat, moisture and water level in my glass. Once I was happy that the cling film wasn't going to melt, the heater wasn't going to set on fire or anything else for that matter I started looking at what I should fill the darn thing with.

I called a mate of mine that has a few Stauro and a bit of Glosso in his tank and asked for a bit of his to get me going. He didn't have much, but what he did have was enough to get me going on my test bed pretty budget dry start scape. Probably 16 stalks of Stauro and a hand full of glosso.

I planted the Stauro on the left between the rocks and the glass and in the middle where the wood hangs over and the glosso across the front and to the back at the right. This has left me with an area unplanted at the back that I'm planning on filling with some grass.

ynjJejf.jpg

After a week of spraying the plants with water morning and night. Just twice a day I've not managed to kill anything off yet and I dare say I might be seeing a little growth. The lights get turned on at 8am and go off around 10pm so they get a nice long lighting period with a low intensity.

AqzQU8J.jpg

28RMaPp.jpg

MYxkGXn.jpg

So that's where I am up to. I'm thinking that I might fill in the back with echinodorus tenellus. I plan in the next couple of days to start yoghurtgate with the method used by George Farmer and Tom Barr and tickle the rock work with a little Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas' and get the rocks nice and mossy and go from there.

I think in the coming few weeks I will start to review what to do with lighting, co2 and flow. I'm thinking pressurised co2, but trying to keep it on a budget. I have a 500g cylinder already so just regulator needed as I have a few pollens in various shapes and sizes. I might have a look at a light bar or increase the lighting on the hood some how and look at some hang on filters like the Eheim range. It will get rid of that big black horrible thing you can see in the pictures.

Hope you enjoyed the Journal so far and will keep you updated on the hotch botch that is my bits and bobs scape.

The filter is a fluval 106 with full length diy acrylic spraybar. The light is a beamswork led 24" as sold on ebay by the 'aqua man' It is the single light but they do a double too. They are on sale at the mo:) I have done a brief review of the light in the lighting section ie what I've grown with it. Only get the double if you def want to go hi tec with co2 or can hang it so it can be raised if too strong.

A bit of an update.

After around 6 weeks on the dry start method my glosso and Stauro seem to be going well. With slow growth, probably due to the low light. The pasted on moss is going well. I did manage to dry some out that was due to me being away for a couple of days and my mate doing a poor job spraying down.

I needed to fill in the back area and give the tank a bit more of a natural look as plants were looking a bit uniformed.

I went down to pets at home Stockport which gave me an excuse to check out the monster aquascape and see if the promise of a better plant selection had come true.

Aquascape is looking great guys. Very impressed, though seemed to be suffering an outbreak of thread algae. The plants selection has got better with a bit more range for us aquascapers.

I purchased some lilaeopsis brasiliensis and bacopa australis x 3 pots each.

I planted some lilaeopsis around some of the rocks and in bunches around the middle rear and then planted the bacopa in the left and right back corners.

Now the scape looks like this

Sb6MHhf.jpg

UE71Vv3.jpg

EQFOrdf.jpg

iAef7Nh.jpg

I have seen a light on eBay for 40 notes, which will be purchased later today. This will take my lighting output from 15 watts to 48 watts which I calculate as 3.3 wpg.

Still need to decide on a pump as I have no cabinet, but looking at a hang on external filter with spray bar.

So after a few hours looking at external hang on filters I decided to buy an external cabinet filter. After measuring the tv unit I managed to pick up a filter from eBay for not a lot. It's a Biopro EF-800 External Canister Filter 800lph and should just about fit under my tv unit. At 28 cm I have probably 5cm to spare.

9Odor5V.jpg

Whilst I was spending, I bought a dual 24 watt unit that was mentioned in the previous post. Just co2 to go and I might be ready to flood in the next few weeks.

I will list out what I have and what it's cost when I have everything in place for the budding starters, but it's reasonably budget so far.

Filter is too big to fit in my small space. Might have to do an A Team and make it shorter. It's the shortest I could get, but an opportunity to make a how to thread.

Lights up and running. Though it was too close to the substrate for my liking so after some bending I got it to sit proud. Thinking I might have to build some Perspex stands for it..... Not another thread they all cry.

Anyway. Vast improvement going from 15 watt unreflected to 48 watts reflected.

After.....

qwusSZd.jpg

Co2 regs arrived today. Came with an empty extinguisher, but I can get that filled up locally and have a spare for my main tank.

I have a 500g one (pictured) that was used as spare that I will now use for this tank. Just need to wait for the bubble counter and diffuser to arrive from the south.

The reg is an easy-aqua model that came off eBay for only £39. So I can't really complain. It has a solenoid that is in good working order and came from a scaper that's decided to go a different direction.

Nearly time to flood.....

Mind the cat :)

wt5LmBO.jpg

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the question, thought I was playing by myself :)

I am spraying neat RO water currently. I have read differing views that ferts would burn the leaves which I wanted to avoid.

I believe ADA do a Wabi Kusa fert that you can spray direct, but I use EI ferts on my main aquarium and didn't want to take the risk.

This was more of an experiment than anything. More because of my impatience as I didn't have all the gear to be able to flood immediately.

I haven't seen any issues with spraying RO directly. Plant health is really good and the Stauro and Glosso have a really good root system after a number of weeks DSM.

The only issue I have seen is from the moss growing on the wood. It's been hard to keep the moss moist as the redmoor root tends to suck up most of the moisture. I have been spraying down twice a day for the duration of the project

Hope this over answers your question.

So, as mentioned earlier in the Journal, my new filter was too large for the space I have in my TV cabinet.

So, out came the saw and some fish safe sealant.

GwqgQBc.jpg

First I cut the filter in three. Measured to remove one media basket, but with enough left for some overlap. You will see why in a sec.

YTbN6ll.jpg

I the stuck the top half in the oven to make it plyable as I wanted to overlap the two layers.

Rough up the contact points of part A & B, add some tank sealant and push the two halfs together.

cRyTR8V.jpg

Will leave the two halfs together for 48 hours whilst the two halfs cure and then on to water seal testing.

Flooded today. Altered filter is tighter than a ducks behind with no leaks, so gone for it.

I used media from one of my other filters to get a quick start, which is good because the substrate looks like it has a green film on it. Maybe a couple of Amano or other hardy shrimp will help.

2zoxlg1.jpg

T1IbDqH.jpg

Full list of gear is as follows.

Jewel Korall 60 aquarium with heater £65
Half a 9 litre bag of Amazonia £17.50 - full bag £35
Quarter bag of Tropica substrate £2 - full bag £7
Various pebbles £7
Redmoor root £25
Glosso & Stauro £Gratis
lilaeopsis brasiliensis £11 (3 pots)
bacopa australis £11 (3 pots)
External filter £38
Twin 24w light £40
Co2 regulator & bottle £50 (eBay with postage)
Refill co2 bottle £6
Co2 diffuser, bubble counter & non return valve £8
Drop checker £7.50
Co2 tubing £5

For a grand total of £293

You can probably do it cheaper if you wait for deals to come on eBay and through the for sale section on the site, but I think this is a reasonable entry cost.

Certainly a lot less than my 300ltr aquarium.

Back